cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving EV to clustered SQL farm from standalone server

rasobey
Level 5

Hi all,

We currently run EV9 with a dedicated, standalone SQL server and two EV servers for mailbox archiving only. I'm looking at moving the SQL onto a new server, so I started reading this document:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH35744

It looks pretty straightforward if I'm honest. Are there any gotchas I would need to look out for? We'll be moving from SQL 2005 to 2008, which I think is a supported procedure.

My only concerns at this time are:

Step 3: I'm not sure if we have a fingerprint database. How do I tell?

Step 8: There is nothing listed under the System DSN tab. Does that mean I have no audit database?

Many thanks,

Richard

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

GOTCHA! Please be absolutely sure that you keep the SQL COLLATION the same as it is now. If you don't you get issues with your next upgrade!!!!

Fingerprint db can be recognize by the name. It should start with EVVSGVSxxxx

If you rightclick db-name, select properties. select Files in the left pane, you should see 30something files, Filegroup is called FingerprintCatalogue_xxx

If however, you have not setup/configured sharing in your EV environment, you will not have this db.

If you do not see the Audit-database, it is because you have not enabled auditing in your EV-environment.

In the left pane of the Administration Console, right-click the Enterprise Vault Directory and then, on the context menu, click Enable Auditing

If you can select the above, you don't have auditing enabled currently, and therefor do not have an Audit database.

Good luck!

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

rasobey
Level 5

I don't seem to be able to edit my previous post, but I've resolved the System DSN issue - I had to use the 32-bit version of the tool. But, I only see EnterpriseVaultDirectory and the mail stores, not EVAudit or anything to do with fingerprints.

GertjanA

GOTCHA! Please be absolutely sure that you keep the SQL COLLATION the same as it is now. If you don't you get issues with your next upgrade!!!!

Fingerprint db can be recognize by the name. It should start with EVVSGVSxxxx

If you rightclick db-name, select properties. select Files in the left pane, you should see 30something files, Filegroup is called FingerprintCatalogue_xxx

If however, you have not setup/configured sharing in your EV environment, you will not have this db.

If you do not see the Audit-database, it is because you have not enabled auditing in your EV-environment.

In the left pane of the Administration Console, right-click the Enterprise Vault Directory and then, on the context menu, click Enable Auditing

If you can select the above, you don't have auditing enabled currently, and therefor do not have an Audit database.

Good luck!

Regards. Gertjan

rasobey
Level 5

Thank you Gertjan!

Nope, I am able to "Enable auditing" so I presume it's turned off.

The only databases listed on the current SQL server are:

EnterpriseVaultDirectory; EnterpriseVaultMonitoring; EVVSGVaultStoreGroup01_1_1; EVVSIVEV01MailStore_1; EVVSICEV02MailStore_3

Does that look pretty normal? I'm not sure what's happened to MailStore_2 mind you!

GertjanA

This is your fingerprint db: EVVSGVaultStoreGroup01_1_1. That should have those 32 something files

You only have mailbox archiving? No journal archiving?

Naming is databasenaming. might be normal.

Regards. Gertjan

Ameen
Level 6

Yes, the tecchnote is straight and it works but one thing which is not there in technote you should follow is backup the encrypt key(credentials) of reporting. The same you have to import in new server otherwise your configuration of reporting may fail.

rasobey
Level 5

Thanks ameen. We don't use reporting. We're very basic with just Exchange mailbox archiving and no fancy extras :)

rasobey
Level 5

Ok I've done all this, but in the ODBC administrator, on the System DSN tab, a few of the data sources are still referencing the old SQL server.

The main thing is EV seems to be working fine, so I wonder what's happening? It could be a hangover from when I tried to introduce a third EV server and then uninstalled it.

I've logged a support request with my vendor for someone to check it out anyway.