cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving EV to new hardware

Lmlarson
Level 4

I need advice on how to accomplish moving EV to new hardware.

Currently we are running EVSP4. 

We want to get to EV10.0.3 because we are planning an upgrade to exchange 2013. 

We will continue to use Outlook 2007 even after the upgrade to Exchange 2013. 

Current environment is Windows server 2008 64 bit. SQL is also on the same server as EV.

Current server needs to be replaced.

What I need advice on is how to best accomplish the move to new hardware and a upgrade to EV10.0.3 in prepartion for the Exchange upgrade.

Do I need to upgrade current server to V9.0.X and then use the migration wizard to the new hardware?  Do we upgrade EV once it's on the new server?

I've read multiple documents on accomplishing this but still a little bit confused as to what the best course of action would be.  I would really appreciate any recommendations on how to accomplish this. 

Thanks in advance for any advice on the most efficient way to do this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Here you go:

You can leave the storage as is until you complete the migration to new disks.

Yes, you can follow this TN:

How to move the Enterprise Vault (EV) SQL databases

Article:TECH35744  |  Created: 2004-01-25  |  Updated: 2013-02-06  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH35744

For the Journal server, be sure to run the EV 10.0.3 deployment scanner on it prior to doing the upgrade.  Yes, you would upgrade the Journal server but not run the configuration wizard.  You would start the services on it after you complete migrating the EV Server

If you can keep the same server name and IP then fine, but if not, not a huge deal.  I believe the steps are covered in the Server Settings Migration Wizard documentation.  In your case, as SQL is on the EV Server you either need to use different names and IPs or move it all at once, which will require additional steps on your part to ensure it goes smoothly.  Might be better to just plan to use new names so you can either move SQL first or after the EV upgrade\migration.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Is it 2008 R2 x64?

And you dropped the EV version in your post.. can you confirm that?

I would first of all move SQL to another box..

Then the equation gets easier.

Working for cloudficient.com

Lmlarson
Level 4

Sorry.  No it is not R2.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Yes, upgrade the current server to V9.0.X (check database compatability, you don't mention your current version, so you may need to upgrade sql as well), move the SQL databases to your new server. And finaly then use the migration wizard to move EV directly to EV10 on the new hardware.

edit:

Here you can see how to move the databases to another SQL server:
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH35744

Lmlarson
Level 4

SQL is 2005 (SQL server 9.0.5057)

Okay, just so I got this down, the plan would be to install EV10 on the new hardware.

Move SQL to the same new hardware.

And then use the migration wizard to move EV9.0.X directly to the new hardware with EV10 already installed, correct?

I'm sorry if I'm repeating what you just said, I just want to make sure I've got it down. 

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Yes, that's it.

Make sure to have backups of the database and the EV data, better safe than sorry.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Are you all set then, or do you need some more help with this issue?

Working for cloudficient.com

Lmlarson
Level 4

Sorry for the delay in responding, but I've been out for awhile. Again, just to recap.  We will be migrating EV9.0.4 to a new server with EV10.0.3 installed.  Were currently running Windows 2008 R2 64bit. We have a dedicated journaling server besides the EV server.  SQL and discovery accelerator is also on the EV server.  I'm looking for the best way to migrate this to the new server.

I do have a couple more questions -

Our current evault storage is a SAN.  We will be moving this data to local storage. Would it be better to do the migration to the new server first, keeping the data on the SAN until we have successfully migrated to the new hardware? 

SQL is also on the current EV server.  Currently the plan is to keep SQL on the new EV server also.  Is there documentation on how to move sql to the new server?

We have a dedicated EV journal server.  Can this server just be upgraded to 10.0.3. The hardware is 64 bit. The plan would be to run the migration wizard on the EV server itself, but thought the journal server could just be upgraded.

Is the migration less complicated if we attempt to keep the same server name and IP ?  Or isn't this a huge consideration while using the migration wizard.

thanks again for all your help.

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Here you go:

You can leave the storage as is until you complete the migration to new disks.

Yes, you can follow this TN:

How to move the Enterprise Vault (EV) SQL databases

Article:TECH35744  |  Created: 2004-01-25  |  Updated: 2013-02-06  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH35744

For the Journal server, be sure to run the EV 10.0.3 deployment scanner on it prior to doing the upgrade.  Yes, you would upgrade the Journal server but not run the configuration wizard.  You would start the services on it after you complete migrating the EV Server

If you can keep the same server name and IP then fine, but if not, not a huge deal.  I believe the steps are covered in the Server Settings Migration Wizard documentation.  In your case, as SQL is on the EV Server you either need to use different names and IPs or move it all at once, which will require additional steps on your part to ensure it goes smoothly.  Might be better to just plan to use new names so you can either move SQL first or after the EV upgrade\migration.