cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Journal Mailbox to new Excahnge server 2003 from Exchange 2000

Berkeley
Level 3
Hi,

I want to move our Journal Mailbox to our new server, so we can decommission our old exchange server.
I have followed the instructions from the the below post:

http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/move-journal-mailbox-another-exchange-server-same-organizatio...

However when i try to create a target to our new exchange server i get the below error :

EV Error.JPG

I have checked DNS and also added the EVADMIN account to the local admins group in the new exchange server.
"Enterprise Vault System Mailbox for EXCHANGE-SERVER-NAME" account only exist on our old exchange server, is this account automatically created. I'm really stuck, can some one help?

Many thanks
6 REPLIES 6

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Hello Berkeley,

You will need to create an EV-system mailbox on the new server also.
When done, login to the mailbox to enable it. (ie, it shows in Exchange System Manager) You can also sent an email to the mailbox, to make it show.
Make sure that the Vault Service Account has the correct rights on the Exchange Server. (see in the installing-configuring pdf somewhere)

To be absolutely sure, run deploymentscanner from the vaultserver, and add the new exchangeserver.

that will show you what might be missing.

Good luck.
Regards. Gertjan

Berkeley
Level 3

GertjanA
Hi Berkeley,

As far as I know, the systemmailbox has to be made by the EV-admin himself.
I have never tested when installing EV to let EV make a systemmailbox by it self.
(see installing and configuring pdf, page 56:
The Enterprise Vault system mailbox is a mailbox that is used by the Exchange
Mailbox, Exchange Journaling, and Exchange Public Folder tasks when connecting
to the Exchange Server.
You must create a system mailbox on each Exchange Server that you want
Enterprise Vault to archive.)

But, as the services have been installed and configured, do you see the systemmailbox for EV?
If yes, can you connect to it using outlook?
If no, make a systemmailbox yourself, connect using outlook.

The message states ' access denied', so I also lean to permissions on the exchangeserver itself.

Also check permissions as described in same pdf, page 59, Assigning the permissions at Organization or Administrative
Group level
This will set the correct permissions on all of the exchangeservers (also those that will be added in the future)

Also, run deploymentscanner!
Regards. Gertjan

Berkeley
Level 3
Thanks for that GertjanA, i'll give it go and let you know how i get on. many thanks

Berkeley
Level 3
Hi, i created a new 'Journal Mailbox' on our new exchange server, and in ESM re-directed all the emails to go to the new Journal Mailbox . However i am still not able to create a 'Target'. Still getting the same error.

I have read through 'Installing & Configuring EV6 Guide', but no success.

Because it is not a new installation of EV, we alrady have the 'Vault Service Account' on our domain.

I have also checked the permission and everything seems ok, the perrmission is set on the Administrative Group level in the Exchange hierarchy which has proagated all the perrmission to all servers.

I'm really confused now, can someone please help? thanks

GertjanA
Hello Berkeley,

Create a EV-systemmailbox manually on the new server you want to archive from.
Use Outlook to connect to the systemmailbox to verify it exists and works
Then try to add the target

Gertjan
Regards. Gertjan