cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving archives

Sortid
Level 6

I am using EV9 SP2 and doing a hardware refresh of the system after upgrading from 2007 SP6.  I am looking to set up a new vault store to take advantage of SIS.  I have 15,000 archives and a journal archive, 385,000,000 items in total.  I was going to use Move Archive to migrate this, but have just come across information saying this is not a tool suitable to be used in mass migrations.  What should we use to do this?  How have other people done migrations?  

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

We looked in to Transvault, archive shuttle etc, and we used Move Archive and to be honest, haven't had too many problems, there are a lot of hotfixes out there, especially for 9 SP1, in the last 6 months moved about 28,000 archives

That being said, 385 million email is a lot so you may want to look at Transvault, but you're going to have to have quite a large budget to accomodate it, just from buying the software, support and the hardware needed etc

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

CFreeX
Level 4

You can still use the Move Archive, but many others use a  transvault as well.

JesusWept3
Level 6

We looked in to Transvault, archive shuttle etc, and we used Move Archive and to be honest, haven't had too many problems, there are a lot of hotfixes out there, especially for 9 SP1, in the last 6 months moved about 28,000 archives

That being said, 385 million email is a lot so you may want to look at Transvault, but you're going to have to have quite a large budget to accomodate it, just from buying the software, support and the hardware needed etc

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Sortid, these are all good points that are brought up for you to consider. cost is definitely a factor but so is time and it's likely that with a 3rd party tool, such as TransVault, it would be faster than move archive and you wouldn't have to dedicate a full time resource to work it and babysit it to make sure the process runs 24/7 and deal with issues as they come up. in any case, i'd be happy to help give you a high-level overview of what it might entail to do this with TransVault if you want to drop me a PM.

Peter_Kozak
Level 5
Partner

...doesn't scale very well when trying to do "mass migrations".

If you would like to try ArchiveShuttle, we're happy to assist...

Also i would suggest to compare Pricing of the 3rd Party tools...

Best regards,
Peter

JesusWept3
Level 6
Move archive works perfectly well for mass migrations unless 28k doesn't count as mass I suppose and it's a heck of a lot cheaper

Sortid
Level 6

Thanks for your comments guys.  I am keeping my options open at the moment and will have a look at those products.  28,000 is certainly more then what we have.  Did you have any dramas moving that many with Move Archive, JW?

JesusWept3
Level 6

Not really, we had a couple of issues where we needed hotfixes, so you may want to contact support to see if you can get every public and non public hotfix for Move Archive that you can.

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

i guess what it comes down to is if you have dedicated resources to throw at this or if it's one of a dozen things you're now tasked to do as part of your role in the company. it's not a small task by any means and even if you do use native tools (move archive) it will take many hours and much attention to accomplish successfully. also keep in mind if this data is for legal purposes you need the ability to have complete and accurate reporting of everything you're moving as a record for chain of custody and auditing.

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Sortid,

I would also consider retention policies.  Will the items be deleted in the near future?  If yes, is it worth moving them?

You say you have 15k archives, how many Vault Stores do you have? 

You might consider the cost of migrating the data to get OSIS vs leaving as-is and just having OSIS moving forward.  Yes, it would be nice to have everything possible shared but at the end of the day is it worth it?

As JW2 said, make sure you have the appropriate hotfixes in place and give a go with Move Archive, if that doesn't work, get a few quotes and decide the best solution from that.

HTH,

Sortid
Level 6

We have one vault store at the moment, it's about 45TB, hence why I wanted OSIS.  I am going to hit another problem with this regarding DA locking it, but will start another thread.  At the moment I am trying to get as much info as I can to present to management, so thankyou for your time.

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

So you only have one vault store for everything?  I would assummed based on your number of users you had around 3 EV servers, so how many EV Servers do you have?

Did you enable sharing on the Vault Store Partitions? 

I ask this because if you do only have one Vault Store and have sharing already enabled it may not be worth your while to go through the move process.  Where folks get the most benifit from OSIS is being able to share across Vault Stores, so if you have two Mailbox Vault Stores and a Journal Vault Store you could get sharing across all those.

Just some more food for thought.

JesusWept3
Level 6

the benefit would be if you then go ahead and create more vault stores, those items already archived won't be shared to others.

But honestly regardless, you may want to consider more vault stores anyway, because your one Vault Store DB must be gettingpretty massive by now, bigger that saveset table is, easier the indexes become fragmented, longer it takes to backup and perform maintanance etc