cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving closed vault partition from 4k to 64k allocation units

BEI
Level 5

Hi all,

I was wondering if its possible to move vault partition located on a 4k allocation units to 64k?

cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

I beleive you are moving the paritioon to another location which has the allocation unit set to 64k, In that case dont think it should be an issue but make sure you have a backup.

Incase if your changing the allocation unit from 4k to 64 k , there are chances that the data might get corrupt.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/videos/enterprise-vault-10-move-vault-store-partition

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

I beleive you are moving the paritioon to another location which has the allocation unit set to 64k, In that case dont think it should be an issue but make sure you have a backup.

Incase if your changing the allocation unit from 4k to 64 k , there are chances that the data might get corrupt.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/videos/enterprise-vault-10-move-vault-store-partition

BEI
Level 5

Thanks for that.

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

yes, no problem. EV wont know the difference. as always when making changes make sure you have a backup. other than that, if you can copy the data instead of moving it, you'll could revert right back to the original partition in case anything happened.

BEI
Level 5

Thanks allot AndrewB.

Cheers

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

Before you sign-off on thsi thought...  EV stores the data in a flat file structure with lots (and lots) of small files.  Emails typically are 16-24K is size minus attachements so, if you switch from 4K to 64K you will significantly increase your storage use and requirments due to the unused white space.  I calculate that generally 60-65% of your items are ~half of the 65K sector size, increasign your storage requirements by 30-40%.

Unless you are using collections, then you are good...

Just my 2 cents...