Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving from EV7.5 SP3 to EV8.0.4

Gilly-Bhoy
Level 6
Partner

Hi All,

I have a windows 2003 server running EV 2007 SP3 for File System Archiving.

It's protecting 1 file server.

I want to install EV8.0.4 on a new server (running Windows 2008).

I want to use the same vault store, same database and retire the old EV server.

What is the best way to go about this?

How do I handle the data already archived by the "old" system?

Many Thanks,

Gilly

4 REPLIES 4

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Your best bet is to run through the Disaster Recovery Procedures within the Administration guide (chapter 23 i think it is) and it describes restoring a server.

First thing though, is there a specific reason as to why you would want EV8 SP4 and not EV8 SP5 or EV9 SP1?

My advice would be to DR to the new server and then upgrade. So you would prep your new server so you install all the pre-reqs (MSMQ, IIS, NET Framework etc), make the EVAdmin a local admin on the machine, then install Enterprise Vault and have it restart.
Don't run any of the configuration just yet.

Then transfer all the storage (the Vault store partitions and indexes) to be identical on the new server
(for instance if you have indexing on I:\ and vault stores on E:\, make sure the same paths and directory structures as the old server). If this is a NAS or a mapped drive this would be pretty easy.

Then after that, in your DNS make sure your server aliases all point to the new server.
For instance if you have something like

EVServer -> serverA.mydomain.com then change it so EVServer points to ServerB.myDomain.com

After that, make sure the new machine and your file server can access EVServer, and that ServerB responds and not ServerA.

Once the DNS resolution is done, on the new EV Server run the EV Configuration utility and tell it to join the existing site, what *should* happen is that EV Detects the site already exists and that the computer already exists and then does a "repair" on that computer

The repair will simply update things such as ComputerNameAlternate and some MSMQ Paths to point at the new server name and not the old server, and then it will also create the necessary missing services on the new server (Directory, Indexing, Storage, Shopping etc).

After this your new server should be ready to go.
So test retrieving items from FSA, archiving, going through Archive Explorer, Search.asp, look for any errors in the event logs, make sure everythings ok.

After that, upgrade your Enterprise Vault to EV8 and then upgrade the FSA plugins on the File server.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Gilly-Bhoy
Level 6
Partner

Thanks "Jesus".

I've just found out that I might be able to keep the servername and IP of the old EV server so now I am thinking:

-Install the same version of EV (2007) on the proposed new EV server (running windows 2008)

-Shutdown the old EV server

-Change the IP addy and name of the New (2008) server to the same as the old server.

-Verify all is working in EV

-Upgrade EV

I suppose the question is will going from one OS (2003) to another (2008) pose any problems?

Thanks for the help so far...

Gilly

Gilly-Bhoy
Level 6
Partner

Well that's not going to work.

Just ran the deployment scanner for 7.5 on the new (2008) server and the app doesn't appear to be supported on 2008.

Looks like I'll have to do a recovery!

Thanks,

Gilly

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

well just do the upgrade on the old server first then do the rest, pretty much the example i gave above is the easiest way to do it

Because you either have to do that, or install a new server in to the environment and then migrate everything across then rebuild your shortcuts etc which is painful.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146