Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving journal mailbox from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2010

goatboy
Level 6

Hi

Running EV 10.0.4 CHF3

Need to move some journal mailboxes from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2010.

Can someone please validate this procedure:

1. Stop the Journal Task(s)
2. Move the journal mailbox(es) from the Exchange 2003 server to the Exchange 2010 server

3. Change the existing Journal Task(s) to use the Exchange 2010 system mailbox(es)
4. Start the Journal Task(s) again
5. Synchronize the journal mailbox(es) through the Synchronization tab of the Journal Task

My journal mailboxes are busy so they will likely have some mail in them when moved. Can I assume all the unarchived stuff will archive when the journal tasks are re-enabled? What about "half" archived stuff (e.g. that has been archived but is waiting for Centera replication to finish before being fully committed)?

thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If you do move the Journal Mailbox, I would set the Journal Task in Report mode, and restart it. this way, the possible pending items are processed, but no new items are actioned. Verify MSMQ that the queue for the task is empty, as is the storage queue. After the move, you can remove report mode, restart task, off you go again.

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

TonySterling

Why not just add a journal task for Exch 2010.  Then you can change your Exchange journal rules so that all mail will go to the new journal mailbox on Exch 2010 and let the Exch 2003 journal mailbox empty out.

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

i would and have always done it the way tony suggested.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Me too.

Working for cloudficient.com

goatboy
Level 6

Np with adding a new task, but don't want to add a new mailbox, would prefer to migrate the existing one(s).

TonySterling

IMHO it would be better to create a new Journal mailbox and point journaling to it instead of trying to move a journal mailbox across Exchange servers.

goatboy
Level 6

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

i dont think either of the posts you reference cover exactly what you're trying to do. unless creating a new mailbox in 2010 is an impossible hurdle for you, it's going to be the best way to ensure a seamless transition and no data loss during the process.

GertjanA

If you do move the Journal Mailbox, I would set the Journal Task in Report mode, and restart it. this way, the possible pending items are processed, but no new items are actioned. Verify MSMQ that the queue for the task is empty, as is the storage queue. After the move, you can remove report mode, restart task, off you go again.

Regards. Gertjan

goatboy
Level 6

Thanks all for your advice. I'll go with the original plan to move the mailboxes + GertjanA's suggestion.

thanks again and happy new year!

goatboy
Level 6

quick question:

"Verify MSMQ that the queue for the task is empty, as is the storage queue"

Assuming report mode is on and all pending items are processed, will both queues be empty even if new items are arriving in the journal mailboxes?

thanks!