Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving the directory service to a different EV server

Asterisk
Level 3
Partner
Hi,

I have a journaling server that was first installed.
Afterwards I add a mailbox archiving server within this EVSite (journaling).
The mailbox server is going to be clustered (MSCS)
Now I wish to move the directory service to the EV Cluster.
This whould provides me better availability when running on cluster rather then running the service on the journaling.
I think that USL can helps to change the directory service but I am not sure that it is the recommended way.
Is there any Symantec KB that can show me the light...

Thanks,
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Yes Asterisk, your other EV Servers should not be impacted by Site#1 - EV1 going down.

Regards
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Maverik
Level 6
You should have directory service on both servers unless you are running a version of EV from when I was a boy. :-) However it is right that the first server is slightly more important than any others for ev. I'm not aware of any technote for this but I think you would be right in updating service location sorting this.

MichelZ
Level 6
Hi

No, USL does not help you here, unless you want to completely remove the Journaling Server.
Since EV7, there is a multi-directory model, where every EV Server has a Directory Service, so no need to move that.

I believe there should be no impact on your Mailbox EV Server when the Journaling EV Server would be down.

Cheers

Maverik
Level 6
Hi,

I have checked with some of the guys in Engineering Support this morning and Michael is completely right. 

Apologies for the error.

BobUithoven
Level 2
I've actually gone thru the same/similar process with a client recently and actually I do want to note that there is an impact when shifting the "EVSITE" Directory Service DNS alias from one server to Another.  In this scenario the DNS alias was changed from the Mailbox Archiving Server (the first server in the site) to another server wihin the site that was there solely to run the PST Migation tasks (which are no longer needed now the PST migration is complete).  So the second server was essentially sitting idle.

But what I discovered was that the impact was fairly minimal on the mailbox archiving server.  Shifting the "EVSITE" alias in DNS to the 'PST' server saved about 5% of CPU utilization on the mailbox archiving server.  However, on the "Backup" server, the CPU utilization did increase significantly.  Now that the EVSITE alias is pointed to that (once idle) server the 1 CPU on the system runs at 20% average utilization with the Directory service taking up most of that.  Also, if anything of significance is happening on the Discovery Accelerator server (holds being applied, released, etc.) the directory service can then eat up to 50% of the CPU.

So, yes, although in version 7 or later the directory service is now 'decentralized' and all EV servers handle communication to the directory service, there is a significance in what server is designated as the main directory service computer (the setting within the properties of the Enterprise Vault object within the Administration Console).  Especially if you are running Discovery or Compliance Accelerator.

Asterisk
Level 3
Partner
Michel,

If I have 4 sites with 5 EV servers as follows:
Site#1 - EV1 Journaling which is the EVsite , EV2 mailbox, 1 target exchange server
Site#2 - EV3 mailbox that archives the exchange at this site
Site#3 - EV4 mailbox that archives the exchange at this site
Site#4 - EV5 mailbox that archives the exchange at this site

According to your inputs; if journaling server is down all other EV servers will be fully functioning?
Meaning archive and enable access to archive?

This is great!!!
I always considered that when EVSite is off then archive at the other EV servers are stopped.
Of course I am in EV version 7.5 SP4 and expect to upgrade to EV 8.0

Thanks

MichelZ
Level 6
Yes Asterisk, your other EV Servers should not be impacted by Site#1 - EV1 going down.

Regards
Michel