cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Platform Internet Browser Support

EHLO1
Not applicable

There is something I don’t understand about the compatibility for Internet Browser support on multiple platforms in conjunction with Microsoft Exchange OWA roadmap in supporting multiple Internet Browser versions such as Firefox, Chrome and Safari.

Why would Symantec not build support for multiple Internet Browsers or even have a Mobile Device App for iPhone, Android, Windows Phone.

I think the Enterprise Vault community would receive such a compatibility with open arms. I know I would! It will give multiple solutions throughout the company for customers with Apple workstations or other platforms where Microsoft Internet Explorer is not supported.

My question is:

Why not?
When?
Are there BETA plugins to test?

Thanks and regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Alex_Brown
Level 5
Employee

To respond to the two questions:

Q. When will Enterprise Vault support multiple browsers?

This is a question with two parts:

1 - The Enterprise Vault 10.0.3 OWA extensions for Exchange 2013 will support all major browsers supported by Exchange 2013. The OWA extensions for all previous Exchange versions will remain IE only.

2 - The current Enterprise Vault search applications will remain supported on the browsers shown in the compatibility guide however we are plannning a new search app, in the coming year, which will aim to support all major browser types and platforms.

Q. When will Enterprise Vault have a mobile app?

We are working on several technologies to delivery this. Firstly the revised search application, mentioned above, will eventually support all devices, including mobile devices. Secondly we are looking to introduce a new server feature which would allow IMAP access to an end users archive meaning that mobile clients could incorporate the archive into their standard mobile mail app. This is being tentatively planned for next major release of Enterprise Vault.

No betas currently available however we'll likely be running some form of early access program so keep in touch.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Check out ArcViewer from CommonDesk .. for 'mobile EV'.  I looked at their Archive Explorer type of thing at the beginning of 2012, and it looked pretty good.

As for the browser support stuff.  I can tell you that it is not anyway near as easy as you think.  Microsoft have had dozens, and dozens of developers working to get (for example) OWA 2010 working with multiple browsers.  Symantec EV doesn't have that 'luxury'.  That was the view-point when I worked at Symantec (6 years total until this summer).

I'm sure a product manager like Alex Brown would give you a more seasoned 'official' stance.

Working for cloudficient.com

Alex_Brown
Level 5
Employee

To respond to the two questions:

Q. When will Enterprise Vault support multiple browsers?

This is a question with two parts:

1 - The Enterprise Vault 10.0.3 OWA extensions for Exchange 2013 will support all major browsers supported by Exchange 2013. The OWA extensions for all previous Exchange versions will remain IE only.

2 - The current Enterprise Vault search applications will remain supported on the browsers shown in the compatibility guide however we are plannning a new search app, in the coming year, which will aim to support all major browser types and platforms.

Q. When will Enterprise Vault have a mobile app?

We are working on several technologies to delivery this. Firstly the revised search application, mentioned above, will eventually support all devices, including mobile devices. Secondly we are looking to introduce a new server feature which would allow IMAP access to an end users archive meaning that mobile clients could incorporate the archive into their standard mobile mail app. This is being tentatively planned for next major release of Enterprise Vault.

No betas currently available however we'll likely be running some form of early access program so keep in touch.

stevemoz
Level 0

Are there any plans for Enterprise Vault to abandon MAPI .. and use Exchange Web Services for it's interaction with Exchange 2010 / 2013 mailboxes ? We always run out of MAPI Sessions.. (And have done since EV Version 5xx through to 9.02...) would be lovely to finally ditch the dail restarts of the Archiving and Journalling services .... etc!!