cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Recipients Cannot Export Despite Registry Keys

MKimler
Level 3
Partner Accredited

I have an environment running 10.0.4 that is having an issue when attempting to retrieve messages with the storage service. This occurs whether browsing the content via Enterprise Vault search or from Discovery Accelerator Review or Export. I receive the following error message in the Enterprise Vault log:

Unable to fetch item from "archivename".
Reason: <0x8004011b>
Saveset Id: 201205076374396~201012101917140000~Z~41075A092772B456180186517DD7A591
Archive Name: User Name
Archive Folder Path: \Managed Folders\Path Info\Folder\Folder\Folder
Reference: [GOAFS] 

The service is running Outlook 2007 Service Pack 3. I have confirmed that the registry key requirement exists on both the Enterprise Vault and Discovery Accelerator server:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\Options\Mail\AttachmentMax 

The value is set to 0xffffffff.

The two notes mentioned in the Compatability Checklist state that for Outlook 2007 SP3, the registry key and Microsoft hotfix KB for targeting Exchange 2013. The environment is Exchange 2010, so only the registry key should apply.

I confirmed that all of the errors are related to organizational announcements which go to thousands to recipients.

Any ideas?

8 REPLIES 8

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

did you set the recipientMax key too?

AndrewB

per: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/952295

Add the AttachmentMax registry entry and the RecipientMax registry entry. To do this, follow these steps.

Note The default value for the AttachmentMax registry entry is 2048 attachments. The default value for the RecipientMax registry entry is 2048 recipients. If you set these registry entries to larger values, it can cause long delays when you try to open .msg files that have lots of recipients or attachments. This is expected and is the reason the original limit was established.

1. Exit Outlook 2007.
  2. Start Registry Editor.
    • If you do not use policies, locate and then click the following registry subkey:
      HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\Options\Mail
    • If you use policies, locate and then click the following registry subkey:
      HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\Options\Mail
  3. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
  4. Type AttachmentMax, and then press ENTER.
  5. Right-click AttachmentMax, and then click Modify.
  6. In the Value data box, type a value, and then click OK.
  7. Repeat steps c through g to add the RecipientMax registry entry.

MKimler
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Yes, the RecipientMax registry value was also set to 0xffffffff as well already.

AndrewB

next step is probably to run a dtrace, try to run your process again, and post the results here.

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Were you logged into the EV Server as the Vault Service Account when you set those registry keys?

MKimler
Level 3
Partner Accredited

I was logged in as the VSA account at the time of the checks.

Additionally, working with Symantec support, we found additional information out:

1 - The message item was also stored in the Journal vault store and the item stored there doesn't have a problem opening.

2 - The item was stored in 2010, probably during the Enterprise Vault version 8 days. During that time, the single instancing was only configured on the vault store level and not the group level. Hence, this is why it was stored twice, once for the journal and once for the users.

3 - When looking at the item in the Search Archive view, the message size is seen at 767kb. However, when using EVSVR to export the item using the DS command, which "worked successfully", the item grew to 8 MBs with no attachments. 

4- The item successfully rebuilt in the EVSVR process but Outlook is either unable to open the message or tells me that there isn't enough memory to open.

I'm guessing a corrupted item at this stage...

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Have you tried opening the item that was generated with EVSVR with other versions of Outlook (on client machines)?

Working for cloudficient.com

MKimler
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Tried multiple versions of Outlook and none worked. Symantec support was also unable to open the message as well.

Then...something odd happened. A week later, Discovery Accelerator was able to export the item and and was able to ingest it into the PST. It opens, but takes a long time to do so. Because of the compression of being in a PST, the message size dropped back from 8 MB to 2 MB, but it still larger than the original email message.