cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NDF files

cwapshere
Level 4
Hi,

I installed EV 8.0 sp1 last week. This is a production installation after completing a PoC, which was originally 7.something, and then I upgraded it to 8.0 (not with sp1).

I have noticed that the new installation has created a lot of .ndf files on the SQL server, but this was not the case with the PoC installation. There are 31 of them, all 1MB in size.

Why have these files been created? Is this a new thing in SP1, or have I just configured something differently? Are there going to be thousands more once I start putting data into the system? What impact do they have on sql backups?

Thanks,

Carol
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicola_Rositani
Level 5
These files are referred to fingerprint database, they are secondary sql data.
I don't have any problem with its, I've implemented fingerprint db from version 8.0.0
Fingerprint db are related your vault store group.
If you upgrade your ev version from 7.5 to 8, default vault store group doesn't have the related fingerprint db

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Nicola_Rositani
Level 5
These files are referred to fingerprint database, they are secondary sql data.
I don't have any problem with its, I've implemented fingerprint db from version 8.0.0
Fingerprint db are related your vault store group.
If you upgrade your ev version from 7.5 to 8, default vault store group doesn't have the related fingerprint db

cwapshere
Level 4
If that is so - why are there 32 of them? The help says "Each vault store has a fingerprint database." I have one Vault Store Group containing two Vault Stores.

I am worried that when I go into production it will create a lot more of these things. Am I really supposed to have 32?

Thanks,
Carol

Nicola_Rositani
Level 5
I've implemented fingerprint directly on production. I always see from begin to now 32 data file.
This is my experience

Bye
Nicola

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Carol

It does not create more.
NDF files are "secondary data files" in SQL, and I believe Symantec does split them up for performance reason.
You could move such secondary data files to other disks, if necessary (again for performance reasons)
Having multiple files from the beginning helps getting more performance later, if you get a huge fingerprinting database.

Cheers
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.