cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NSPI settings on 2008 DC's

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Hello all,

We're running on 2008DC's, and need to have the NSPI-setting adjusted. Domain Admins are reluctant to set it to 'the maximum value' as indicated in http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/329779.htm

Is there a way to calculate the required amount of connections?

I believe it has to take in account syncing mailboxes, and obviously archiving itself.
As for archiving, I assume I can take the number of concurrent connections per task, but how about syncing? Any other numbers I need to take in account?

Thanks.

Gertjan
Regards. Gertjan
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
AD team has set the intial value to 2000. this seems to have resolved the errors on our side.
Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
is it possible they could just put it to maximum then use some monitoring software (wireshark, netmon etc) to get an idea of how many are being used?
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

GertjanA
Hi JW,

This might be an option. We'll use 'trial and error' method.
Next week somewhere, we'll set the registry key to 2000, then see if that works. If not, we'll up with 2000 check again etc.

I found a kb article on Blackberry site (might have same problem) which more clearly indicates how many you need.

I hope to get an answer on this from Symantec. MS is after all not closing this for nothing...

Gertjan
Regards. Gertjan

JesusWept3
Level 6
i can tell you BES is very much definitely suffering from this as well since our BES team notified us of the issue and issued an fyi of what they had seen
though luckily they had already made their changes and it resolved any issues we would have seen

What i would suggest though is looking at any other applications which may use NSPI as well because you will have to accomodate their numbers as well

GertjanA
Hi JW,

True, but not completely.

From the MS document on this:
This behavior occurs because Windows Server 2008 only allows for a default maximum of 50 concurrent NSPI connections per user to any domain controller.

You will have to set the value "NSPI max sessions per user", so if you have different serviceaccounts (EV, BES, other), this setting applies for each individually. For example, if you set it to be 2000, the BES service account gets 2000, the EVservice account gets 2000 etc. This means effectively, the total is 4000 max..
Regards. Gertjan

JesusWept3
Level 6
welll...errm.yeah whatever :)

GertjanA
AD team has set the intial value to 2000. this seems to have resolved the errors on our side.
Regards. Gertjan

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
We were just discussing this the other day, and what can/should be put in our Installation Guide.  It's still being discussed.  I voiced an opinion that I didn't like to carte-blanche set the value to 0xffffff.  That just seems "wrong".
Working for cloudficient.com

GertjanA
I agree with Rob. However, it might be difficult to calculate what is needed.

Blackberry states to use a setting reflecting the amount of devices in use. IE, if you have 123 blackberries in your company, use 123 connections. This is the THEORATICAL amount of simultaneous connections.

For EV, I was leaning to:
Archving task(s) times concurrent connections to Exchange.
Synchronizing = 1 times number of mailboxes to be synced.

In the environment I am currently managing, this would lead to 7500 connections. HOWEVER! setting it to 2000 seems to have done the trick. It might be that EV uses NSPI very good (ie opening and closing the connections properly), but this might be different for another environment.

GJ
Regards. Gertjan

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Gertjan,

That's a looooot of connections.  How many archiving tasks + threads per task to do you have?

GertjanA
11 tasks each 5 connections. no journaling
problem was with Synchronizing mailboxes. (that was when we saw the events popping up)

As long as ad team is happy with 2000, I'll leave it at that.
Regards. Gertjan

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

I was just musing along the lines of :

11 x 5
+ "a few"

Should be enough?

Perhaps :)

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
Note: We're discussing some tweaks to the technote....