cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need some Enterprise Vault Assistance - please

GeorgeL
Level 2

Hi

Our company is running EV Outlook add-in 11.0.0.1351 and Outlook 2010.

Quick question:

Is there a limit to the amount of groups you belong to in Active Directory for EV to function correctly?

We have a few users who cannot search their vault from Outlook 2010 when clicking on the EV tab in Outlook and select "search vault". They will receive a "page cannot be displayed" message in the outlook window pane where you should be able to search for items in your vault.

The users affected belong to over 70 active directory groups. During my troubleshooting I have removed them from about 30 groups, logged them off their PC and back in and they are able to search their vault. I added them back into the groups, logged them off and back onto their PCs and its broken again.

I havent tried narrowing it down to the exact number of groups yet but figured someone here may know off hand if EV has a limit to the number of groups one belongs to in AD.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

George

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If removing them from the additional groups won't work I recommend you open a case so it can be logged.  The more folks with an issue the higher priority it will get and the only way to really track that would be via a case\etrack.

You can also post an idea in the Ideas section.

Best,

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

TonySterling

I have not heard of this before but as you have narrowed it down and can recreate it I would recommend opening a ticket with support.

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

i wonder if it might timeout trying to figure out all the different archives a user in so many groups might have permission to. can you check if EV archive permissions are setup with groups either by someone manually granting permissions to archives by adding the groups or someone with group permissions being inherited from their mailbox?

Chris_Warren
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

George

I have seen large number of security groups cause timeouts for Search.

When you first access search, AuthServer must go out and parse all of the AD groups associated with the user to determine what rights they have and also what archives they have access to.  Depending on the number of groups and size of the groups, this can cause this process to take a long time, which will cause ASP timeouts.

Also, I've seen this happen with Recursive and nested AD groups which can cause the parsing process to go longer than needed.

I hope this helps.

Chris

GeorgeL
Level 2

thanks for the replies everyone.

I think it might be a timeout issue as well. I cant imagine we are the only company running EV with users who belong to large number of AD groups. Is there anyway to avoid this timeout which is rendering EV useless as long as they belong to this many groups?

The majority of our users arent in this many groups but many of the IT and Developer staff are in lots of groups for application testing purposes. To remove them doesnt offer much of a solution.

thanks again for the help

Chris_Warren
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

Other than just removing the additional groups, the only suggestions I've been able to provide in the past is to review the groups and streamline them. aka, correct any recursive or deeply nested groups or create more efficient groups for specific organizations in the company.

Many times, as a company grows, AD teams have a tendancy to simply create new groups on the fly and not clean up or improve the existing groups which can cause alot of duplicate right assignments that can stack on top of each other.

TonySterling

If removing them from the additional groups won't work I recommend you open a case so it can be logged.  The more folks with an issue the higher priority it will get and the only way to really track that would be via a case\etrack.

You can also post an idea in the Ideas section.

Best,