cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need some info on Indexing

carrs654
Level 4

Hello All,

We are using EV 10.x. If items are deleted from archive during storage expiry, it deletes the indexes. In our case, i see that the related indexes are deleted because i cant find the items in search. But i dont think the index files present on the file system are getting deleted as i dont see any space saved.

1) What happens with index files on file system when indexes are deleted.

2) After storage expiry deletes archived items and belonging indexes, when can we expect to free up disk space on Index locations?

3) Is there a way to check that physical files from index locations are deleted referencing to the archived items.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Probably the index files get smaller. Running storage expiry to remove items from the archive, removes the index entries. the index only gets deleted from disk if the archive itself gets deleted. If you have an archive that has no items in it, the index files are still approx 256kb each.

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

For what reason are you asking?

Compliance?

Disk Space saving?

Working for cloudficient.com

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Probably the index files get smaller. Running storage expiry to remove items from the archive, removes the index entries. the index only gets deleted from disk if the archive itself gets deleted. If you have an archive that has no items in it, the index files are still approx 256kb each.

Regards. Gertjan

carrs654
Level 4

Hi Rob

I was asking about the Disk space saving. 

@GertjanA - the index only gets deleted from disk if the archive itself gets deleted - I never came across any such document that have cleared this. Can u share any articles that talks about it.

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
If I had to guess, it would be white space left behind after the item is deleted, which is more efficient when it comes to disk performance So just like with exchange databases, SQL transaction logs, PST files, if you delete items you never reclaim space, but any new items archived will just take the space already allocated That way you're not thrashing the disks by continually shrinking and growing as items are deleted and archived etc I know with 32 bit Altavista based indexes you had the compact.task that would remove white space and dead files etc, but I don't know if such a method exists for 64bit indexes
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Ben_Watts
Level 6
Employee Accredited

As GertjanA said, the actual Index Volumes will only be removed if the Archive is deleted.

But, in relation to removing individual items from archives (or several items), via Storage Expiry or any other means, then you are more than likely looking at JesusWepts answer as the reason for not seeing a massive gain in disk space.

The compact.task option was fully valid upto and including EV9 by running an Update on the Volume you wanted to compact. I believe it is still valid in EV10 so long as the indexes are 32bit, but rather than running an Update on the Index I believe a simple Browser Search will kick the compaction into action.

Once I have access to my lab again I will run a couple of tests, purely out of interest for myself, if the thread hasnt been answered satisfactorily by that point in time then I will update it with my findings.