Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need some interpretation

Bekir
Level 4
Partner
Hello all,

I need some interpretation on the picture attached to this post. The point I do not understand is that why the number of "items awaiting backup" is larger than "Total Items".

Thanks,
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MarkBarefoot
Level 6
Employee
Please see this Technote - http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/273270.htm

Basically the table is showing you what has been archived AND marked as secured (backed up) with the "Total Items" column, and the "Items Awaiting Backup" is showing what items have not yet been secured.

With EV8 we now use the term "secured" with backed-up, as the storage and SIS has been changed. With the advent of improved SIS, a .DVS file is now only recognised as being secured when all component parts (.DVSSP and .DVSCC) relating to the .DVS file have been secured (backed up) - finally marking the .DVS as secured.

It looks like you have a lot of items that are not secured. Check what backup type is configured for the partition (either Archive Attribute or "Secure Partition Notification) - check your backup is doing the right thing (either removing the archive bit or writing the .XML file) - EV needs to go into Backup Mode, then back out to trigger the post-backup process which will scan the items to confirm if they've been backed up or not - and you should then see this report decrease (you will need to refresh the screen as it's HTML and not dynamic)

Thanks

Mark

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Bekir
Level 4
Partner
Ok, there are items waiting for backup.

I'll check the registry key, but why the awaiting number is greater than the total???

Thanks.

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
what version of EV are you using?

Bekir
Level 4
Partner
It's 8.5 SP1

TonySterling
ok, so I guess you mean EV 8 sp1.  (there is no 8.5 :) )

So with EV 8 some messages are split into parts so the reason your totals would be higher would be because it is counting the associated parts as needing backed up.

Bekir
Level 4
Partner
omg, EV 8.5 sounds good though :)

It really doesn't make sense to me. I know I'd have more item count than the total e-mail count on exchange since every e-mail is splitted into parts. However, how can items awaiting backup can be more than total items ?

I'll keep following.

TonySterling
Not every email will be split. 

What I am saying is that the Total Items could be the number of emails and Items Awaiting Backup could be the number of saveset parts.

You would need to open a case with Symantec to verify this.

Regards,

MarkBarefoot
Level 6
Employee
Please see this Technote - http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/273270.htm

Basically the table is showing you what has been archived AND marked as secured (backed up) with the "Total Items" column, and the "Items Awaiting Backup" is showing what items have not yet been secured.

With EV8 we now use the term "secured" with backed-up, as the storage and SIS has been changed. With the advent of improved SIS, a .DVS file is now only recognised as being secured when all component parts (.DVSSP and .DVSCC) relating to the .DVS file have been secured (backed up) - finally marking the .DVS as secured.

It looks like you have a lot of items that are not secured. Check what backup type is configured for the partition (either Archive Attribute or "Secure Partition Notification) - check your backup is doing the right thing (either removing the archive bit or writing the .XML file) - EV needs to go into Backup Mode, then back out to trigger the post-backup process which will scan the items to confirm if they've been backed up or not - and you should then see this report decrease (you will need to refresh the screen as it's HTML and not dynamic)

Thanks

Mark