cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to know if mails can be retain in user mailbox after archiving by enterprise vault server for some users

shard
Level 4
Partner Accredited

I need to know if below things below things are possible.

Archiving should happen for  users but archived mails should not be seen as shortcuts in outlook they must be seen as normal mails.

Our enterprise vault server version is 11.0 and Exchange vesion 2013 SP1

Thanks in advance.

9 REPLIES 9

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

you can configure a mailbox policy that doesnt create shortcuts and then create a provisioning group and assign that policy and those users to that group

shard
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Andrew

Thanks for the replying.

Our intention is to keep the original email item of VIP users as it is in mailbox, however mails should get archived.

I assume, if we don't create shortcut it will still remove the original mail item from mailbox after archiving, Please correct me on this if I am wrong here.

Kindly suggest if there is any option to retain the original mail item in mailbox after archiving. 

EdLacey
Level 5
Certified

Sounds like you want to consider selective Journal archiving for you VIP's and not do mailbox archiving for them. That way you capture all of their emails in the archive but leave their mailbox intact.

shard
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Thanks EdLacey for the responce ,

You have suggested an excellent option, However we also wanted to know if there is any option available matching my requirements.

EdLacey
Level 5
Certified

Wasn't thinking of the obvious option. You could create a seperate archiving policy for your VIP's then in the Exchange Server archiving mailbox policy click the Archiving Actions tab then unselect "Delete original item after archiving"

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

EV will alway remove the original item when archiving.  If you uncheck the "leave shortcut..." option then there is nothing left in the mailbox.  If you check the option then the shortcut is created and you can configure the shortcut to be the full message body, but it will still strip any attachments.  There is no option to archive from the mailbox and leave the item "untouched".  Journal archiving is you only option to capture the emails, but not replace them with shortcuts.

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

yes abosutely. dont check the box that says delete original item after archiving. look at your mailbox policy and you'll see exactly what i'm talking about then follow the steps i shared with you from above.

EdLacey
Level 5
Certified

Sorry, just realised I've repeated exactly what AndrewB said earlier

Ben_Watts
Level 6
Employee Accredited

AndrewB is 100% correct, and should be marked as the answer for this post.

Using a seperate policy is what you want to do and will do exactly what you want/need (Archive items to the Archive but leave the original emails in the VIPs mailboxes).

If you are happy for the VIP mailboxes to use mostly the same archiving rules as the current Mailbox Archiving Policy simply right click and choose 'Copy Policy' then name it *******VIP or something.

Go to the Archiving Actions tab of the new Policy and UNTICK 'Delete original item after archiving' AND 'Create shortcut to archived item after archiving'

You will need to create a new Provisioning Group for these VIPs as well and target only those users/that group, then ensure the VIP Provisioning Group is:-
1) Using the VIP Policy  -  This is part of the Provisioning Group creation wizard
2) In the right place in the list of Provisioning Groups  -   Higher than the original Provisioning Group

Wait for the Provisioning Task to run, or carry out a Run Now on the task, then the next Archiving run the new policy should come into effect.