cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to move archives from EV 8.0.3 to EV 10

Eric911
Level 3

Hello,

I'm having a bit of a time trying to get archives moved from an older deployment of EV to our newer deployment.  I've already checked with the company that produces Archive Shuttle and was told that would probably be overkill for our environment.  So now I'm looking into using the EV Archive Move feature, which according to my research should work between versions 8, 9, 10.  Problem I'm having is that our EV 8 version pre-dates SP4 which is apparently when the Archive Move feature was implemented and so far I haven't been able to track down a download of SP4.  I was able to go back through some of my records and found our serial number for version 9.05, so I downloaded that, got everything prepped and when I went through the deployment scanner, much to my chagrin, I was informed that 9.05 will only run on server 2008 R2 64 bit and higher (our EV 8 server is running a 32 bit version of 2003).

So I guess I'm trying to find out what my options are.  We only have about 40 mailboxes on the version 8 server, that totals out to about 50GB so I feel like it should be a pretty simple process once I can get everything lined up.

Do I need to keep working on obtaining EV 8 SP4 (is it even compatible for 32 bit server OS?) or should I look into upgrading the windows version of our current EV 8 system?  The latter option sounds a bit more intimidating since I would be going from a 32 bit OS to a 64, with the enterprise vault system in place.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I have EV 8 sp5 if you need it.  Just PM me.  :)

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

i'd usually never recommend this but if it's only 40 mailboxes and no journal data then you could export them to PST or yea, you could install SP4 (yes it's supported on 32bit) and try Move Archive. Contact Customer Care if you dont see the version you want on Fileconnect.

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

I agree with AndrewB.  Export to PSTs is the easiest way. The only real advanage Move Archive gives is updating the shortcuts.   A couple cautions... 

1.  shortcuts, if you have them, won't get updated

2.  if you use multiple retention categories make sure you click the option for separate PSTs (per user) based on retetion categories 

Eric911
Level 3

I'm not much of an EV admin, I've never had any real training on it other than what I've managed to teach myself and from reading online; but when you say shortcuts, are you referring to the shortcuts in archived emails that will take you to the full email inside of the archived mailbox?

Ideally I think the Move Archive option would be best just so that I don't have users coming to me when the old shortcuts dont work and then I have to train them on how to open their vault and manually search for the 7 year old email manually.  

I guess I'll continue to try and obtain SP4 and if all else fails, I'll go the PST export/import route.  Thanks for your help!

TonySterling

I have EV 8 sp5 if you need it.  Just PM me.  :)

Eric911
Level 3

OK guys, I have a new issue.  So I was able to get our older deployment upgraded to SP5 and when I went to move the archives from the old server to the new server, I was told that it could not move the archives to the new server because it would only accept archives from version 9 and above.  Foiled again.

My current plan is to stand up a VM temporarily, install EV9 on that server, migrate the archives from 8SP5 to that server and then from that server to the version 10 server.

Does anyone have any other suggestions or any reasons why I should not attempt the aforementioned plan?

TonySterling

So who told you EV 9 would not run on Win Server 2003?  According to the compatibility doc it is supported.

compatibility_charts.pdf 

The Upgrade Instructions for EV 9 sp5 only say the following: 

The minimum prerequisite software requirements have changed for Enterprise Vault 9.0.

The main changes are as follows:

• The minimum SQL Server version is now SQL Server 2005 SP2.

• The minimum SharePoint archiving target version is now SharePoint Server 2007 (MOSS 2007).

We recommend that you run the Enterprise Vault Deployment Scanner as part of the upgrade process to check that the prerequisites are all present.

For information about prerequisite software, see the Enterprise Vault Compatibility Charts at http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH38537

Also, the install doc talks about setting things up on Win 2003. The docs can be found here:  http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC6418

I would recommend running the deployment scanner and see if it flags anything. You can get that with the EV 9 install media. 

To do the upgrade I would just give the Upgrade Instructions a good read and you should be good to go.

Eric911
Level 3

It was the deployment scanner that told me it wasn't compatible.  Not that it isn't compatible with Server 2003, but that it isn't compatible with 32 bit versions of windows, which this long forgotten VM is running.

I've already stood up a VM with server 2008 R2, installed EV9 on there and am currently getting SQL server installed.  This hasn't been a simple process by any means, but hopefully once I get this VM up and running with EV9, I can migrate from 8SP5 to 9, to our production 10 server.

TonySterling

Gotcha!  It has been a while since I have done an EV 9 install so I must be having a senior moment.