cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to move index location to new location on same server (EV 9.0.2) due to disk space full

animalman
Level 4
Partner Accredited

I need to move index location to new location on same server. I found solution in KB (http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO59084) but I have question about task to update the paths of the volumes on service startup. I can not set IVSyncNeed. And I can not found this column on table of IndexingServiceEntry. So my question if I don't run this task then my EV server can be work fine or not ?

Move an entire root path to a new folder location on the same server

1. Back up the SQL databases and the EV server.
  2. Stop all EV services on the server.
  3. Copy the contents of the index location from the old index server to a new index location.

To determine the index root path run the SQL query below:

USE EnterpriseVaultDirectory

SELECT CE.ComputerNameAlternate, IRP.IndexRootPathEntryID, IRP.IndexRootPath, ISE.ServiceEntryID, ISE.Description
FROM ComputerEntry CE, IndexingServiceEntry ISE, IndexRootPathEntry IRP
WHERE CE.ComputerEntryID = ISE.ComputerEntryID AND ISE.ServiceEntryID = IRP.IndexServiceEntryID

Take note of IndexRootPathEntryID for the index root path you are moving.

1. Run the following query in SQL Query Analyzer to update the index locations in the database

Note:
IndexRootPathEntryId to change should be replaced with the IndexRootPathEntryId value returned for the new index root path in step 3b. NewFolderPath should be replaced with the new location for the index location.

DECLARE @IndexRootPathEntryId EVGUID
SET @IndexRootPathEntryId = 'IndexRootPathEntyId to change'

-- Update the folder path
UPDATE IndexRootPathEntry
SET IndexRootPath = 'NewFolderPath'
WHERE (IndexRootPathEntryId = @IndexRootPathEntryId)

-- Inform EV that it needs to update the paths of the volumes on service startup
UPDATE IndexingServiceEntry
SET IVSyncNeeded = 2
WHERE ServiceEntryId = (SELECT IndexServiceEntryId FROM IndexRootPathEntry WHERE IndexRootPathEntryId = @IndexRootPathEntryId)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Jeff_Shotton
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Just a different tool (SQL management studio in 2008 vs SQL enterprise manager in SQL 2000)

Launch SQL management studio > connect to your SQL server

Expand Databases > EnterpriseVaultDirectory > Tables > right click on dbo.IndexRootPathEntry and select 'edit top 200 rows'

Type the value of the new location into the correct row for IndexRootPath

Make sure you have the indexes in the new location first.

Remember that if you do this before you move the indexes, and accidentally start the indexing service, EV will automatically attempt to access indexes in that new location and, if they are absent, will attempt to rebuild them from scratch.

And at that point you cannot copy them over since the database will already reflect the fact the indexes are rebuilding.

Regards,

Jeff

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited

that technote is specifically for EV10, which is why you dont have a  IVSyncNeeded.

You can ignore that whole piece in your case as you have ev9 sp2.

oliverse
Level 4
Partner Accredited

you can use this Technote http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH35596 for Enterprise Vault 9.x

to move your index location.

animalman
Level 4
Partner Accredited

My SQL version is 2008. I cannot found menu to change location. Do I must use sql query command and set it to new path?

Jeff_Shotton
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Just a different tool (SQL management studio in 2008 vs SQL enterprise manager in SQL 2000)

Launch SQL management studio > connect to your SQL server

Expand Databases > EnterpriseVaultDirectory > Tables > right click on dbo.IndexRootPathEntry and select 'edit top 200 rows'

Type the value of the new location into the correct row for IndexRootPath

Make sure you have the indexes in the new location first.

Remember that if you do this before you move the indexes, and accidentally start the indexing service, EV will automatically attempt to access indexes in that new location and, if they are absent, will attempt to rebuild them from scratch.

And at that point you cannot copy them over since the database will already reflect the fact the indexes are rebuilding.

Regards,

Jeff