cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to stop users from deleting mail from outlook and stop archiving of bulk users

Veritas_Resolve
Level 4

Hello All,

Need help on 2 things plz, (need script plz)

A. I need a to stop users from deleting their archived emails from their outlook. Bulk users

B. Need to disable their archiving too.

EV11.CH5

SQL2012

No. of Users: 4000

7 REPLIES 7

VirgilDobos
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi there,

For 1), you can control archived emails deletion from several places, such as the Site level, Retention Policy/Category and Search Policy. You can also granularly control it at the Archive level. AFAIK, there is no way to create a script to manipulate this.

For 2) you could use EVPM to disable archiving for a bulk of users. Refer this TN: https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100016639

You could add users to a specific group for example and then set the EVPM script to disable them. See a sample script below:

[Directory]
DirectoryComputerName = EV_SERVER
Sitename = SITE_NAME

[Mailbox]
LDAPquery = LDAPquery

[Folder]
Name = MailboxRoot
Enabled = False
Suspended = False

--Virgil

GertjanA

I'm not sure you can prevent someone from deleting items from their own personal mailbox.

Regards. Gertjan

Came up with a script :p

UPDATE Archive

SET deleteprotected = 1

WHERE ArchiveName in ('archive name')

GertjanA

I'm still not sure what you are asking, but from the looks of it, you want to make sure that if a user deletes a shortcut from the mailbox, the corresponding item in the archive is NOT deleted.

That is a setting in the desktop policy I believe:

Tab Options, at the bottom : Shortcut Deletion, set dropdown to Shortcut Only.

If you do this in the Desktop Policy your users have, then the next sync run from the task will set that.

Regards. Gertjan

Hi GertjanA,

I have around 100,000 users out of which I need to disable the deletion functionality for 8000 users.

Thanks,

VirgilDobos

Depending on how the users are distributed, I believe an easier way may be to add all these users to one or more Retention Categories and disable the deletion at that level. 

--Virgil

In your original post you mentioned 4000 users, now you're saying there is 100,000 and 8,000 need to not be allowed to delete?

hmm...

Well, I would simply copy a desktop policy, adjust it like Gertjan described and set the shortcut deletion policy to 'shortcut only'. Then set up a provisioning group, with this desktop policy and an ordinary archiving policy, and apply it all.

Disable archiving is possible through the UI or via an EVPM script.

Working for cloudficient.com