cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network issues with Symantec eVault running on Outlook 2011 under Mac OS X 10.8.4

ArekR
Level 2

Hi Guys,

Need Your support with the Symantec eVault program. I have digged out tons of websites and did not find a solution for this.

My company (abc) has got two servers: evault1 for the employees working in the US (logging via abc.us) and external evaultext for the employees outside of US (logging via abc.com).

I have been using the eVault running on Windows and Outlook 2013 on my laptop and it wokred OK but I would like to start using my iMac therefore I have asked for the eVault version for Mac. The one I have is 10.0.2 (1057) so already the one working with Snow Leopard. Unfortunatelly when I try to click "store" I've got the message "Network is not available. Check Your network connection" and nothing happends. Similar story is when I click "search" as it goes into Safari but puts the wrong adres with the "evault1" (when I change it manually to "evaultext" I can see the vault details in the browser.

Now, my question is - is there any place/file/option I could use to set the correct vault/adress in either Symantec eVault or Outlook? In the keychain I can only see the password setup nothing else.

Many thanks in advance for Your support.

Best regards

Arek

6 REPLIES 6

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...moved to the correct forum!

Pradeep-Papnai
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

If your outlook 2011 is configured from external network then you would not be able to open archived emails, Apply following workaround. Refer TN http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH176390

1. Modify the HOSTS file on the MAC workstation to redirect the Internal Enterprise Vault URL  to the IP Address of the External Enterprise Vault URL.

or.

2.  Use a VPN  connection to the LAN from the WAN.

Note: If the MAC client connects via VPN, the machine would be outside the network but connects to the internal network which will have access to the EV default web app URL

ArekR
Level 2

Hi,

Seems like the #1 would be the solution in my case. Any easy steps how to do it?

BR

Arek

Pradeep-Papnai
Level 6

Honestly NO AND I would request you to put idea under enhancement portal as this question was asked by many people. http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO38237

The other workaround which I think of is to publish the EV server extenally with the same name as you internal webapp URL OR change internal EV web app URL to match with EV external name, this process may require additional stuff to do in network or database side, which I would not suggest to go for.

Regards
EV-C

Pradeep-Papnai
Level 6

Please let us know if any more input require from our side & don't forget to mark the post that best solve your problem.

anon1234
Level 2

General Solution for anyone on a Mac that is having trouble being directed to the wriong server:

Borrow access to a WIndows machine that is successfully running the Outlook EV Client.  Launch the Archive Search feature and see what website is accessed: (Good.Site.com) when its browser pops up.  Now, go to the windows terminal ("Run -> cmd") and execute the command "ping Good.Site.com", which will give the site's IP address (XX.XX.XX.XX). 

Then from you Mac's Outlook, launch an Archive Search and see what site it attempts to access (Bad.Site.com) when Safari comes up.  From you MAC terminal, you now need to modify the '/private/etc/hosts' file (e.g. sudo nano /private/etc/hosts will launch a little line editor; and you will have to give your machines password to be allowed to modify this file.)  Add a new entry on a new line of the /private/etc/hosts file like "XX.XX.XX.XX Bad.Site.com".  Save and exit (Ctrl-o,Enter,Ctrl-x if you used nano).  Then execute "dscacheutil -flushcache", to cause the new hosts file to be read.  

Finally re-start Outlook on your Mac and again launch a Archive Search!  Safari you should now be redirected so as to go to the IP address of the site you entered in the hosts file.