cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Compatibility Guide released...

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

I just created a blog, but whilst waiting for that to publish, I thought I'd also share here :

Hot off the presses :

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/276547.htm

Direct link :

http://ftp.support.veritas.com/pub/support/products/Exchange_Mailbox_Archiving_Unit/276547.pdf

Major changes :

Addition of EV 9 information

Addition of Exchange 2007 SP 3 Support

Addition of Outlook 2010 information

Working for cloudficient.com
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
I posted it here too, because a certain person I know, who shall remain nameless (JEFF!) has been bugging me hourly for 3 days on the new guide ... ;)

View solution in original post

59 REPLIES 59

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Thanks Rob!

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
I posted it here too, because a certain person I know, who shall remain nameless (JEFF!) has been bugging me hourly for 3 days on the new guide ... ;)

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Rob

Can you explain Page 29, "Storage Software":

NTFS: N

What does that mean?
We cannot archive to NTFS anymore?! ;)

Cheers
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
It doesn't mean that no.  The guide is going to get amended to make it clearer.. it's basically relating to secondary storage, eg collections and migrations.

Simon_Butler
Level 5
Certified
Quick Qs:

Defragmentation has always been listed as either N or P; Given the way Indexes are written and updated, defrags are essential to maintain performance...  So does this really mean defrags are not technically supported whist EV services are running - defrag ok if services stopped or in read-only?

Exchange 2007 Management Console - Doc says it is not supported on an EV server.  By this I assume it is not supported with which to enable mailbox access for EV, hence Outlook being required, but that there are no known issues surrounding it's installation on an EV server.  (It contains no CDO or MAPI elements no anyway).  Resson I ask is that I'd like to use some Exchange PowerShell on the EV servvers with which to develop some integrated reports.

Cheers,
Si

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
Simon,

I'll try to find out the answers to these questions.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
regarding this comment >

<snip>

Defragmentation has always been listed as either N or P; Given the way Indexes are written and updated, defrags are essential to maintain performance...  So does this really mean defrags are not technically supported whist EV services are running - defrag ok if services stopped or in read-only?

</snip>

The table beneath the comment on Index file defragmentation tools is going to be removed.  The statement in the guide which says :

"no known incompatibility with disk defragmentation software"

That's going to stay.  That's our official stance.

In my opinion as with any online data access of files, care should be taken with whatever disk dragmentation you do.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
regarding this comment >

<snip>
Exchange 2007 Management Console - Doc says it is not supported on an EV server.  By this I assume it is not supported with which to enable mailbox access for EV, hence Outlook being required, but that there are no known issues surrounding it's installation on an EV server.  (It contains no CDO or MAPI elements no anyway).  Resson I ask is that I'd like to use some Exchange PowerShell on the EV servvers with which to develop some integrated reports.
</snip>

We don't anticipate any problems, but, we don't explicitly test that combination, hence the statement in the Compatibility Guide.

Simon_Butler
Level 5
Certified
Sounds fine to me - I wouldn't expect every copmbination of software to be tested...there are quite a few apps out there.

There's no CDO, MAPI or any other messaging component in Ex2k7 EMC so we should be fine - I'll run a test :)

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Okay .. sounds good Simon

Edwork
Level 4
I do not understand, Microsoft release SQL 2008 at least 1 yr. But it is still under limited condition and fully support. Would anyone would explain it ?

Eg. EV 8 or EV 9

ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Exchange_Mailbox_Archiving_Unit/276547.pdf
p
age 13.

Simon_Butler
Level 5
Certified
Provisioning, Archiving, restore, search, DA all work fine with Exchange 2007 Management Console installed.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
Simon, I think you've cross posted to the wrong thread?

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
It is mostly down to testing resources.

It was also felt that most people would be moving towards 64 bit SQL, and hence the first port-of-call with certification was against SQL 2008 SP 1.  It was felt that going with SP 1 would be best, because, we're often criticised with going with the base-release and then spending "years" certifying a service pack revision.  

It does, as you can imagine, take an awful lot of resources to test a SQL version against EV.

Is there a particular combination you are needing/wanting?

Simon_Butler
Level 5
Certified
Nope - right thread.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
Oh right, yep, I remember.  You were testing some Exchange 2007 Management Console installed on the EV server, right?

I'll pass on the comments to our certification focus, but I'm not sure the guide will be updated to reflect your testing, unfortunately.

Contonso
Level 4
I cant find any "Additional Infromation about EV 9" in the related Document. 
The Document is from 16 July 2010 but in the subject of the related Link, it says "updated August 27, 2010"

Am I downloading the wrong document?

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
No you're downloading the newly new version.   :)

The very latest version, currently, is the one dated 27th August 2010.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

By the way it is definitely worth subscribing to the technote, for updates.  (When the technote is updated, you get an email)

In addition any comments, suggestions and improvements on the content of the guide are always welcome.

The link now we have the new knowledge management system in place is :

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH38537