cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New EV10 Design Considerations

pclarke
Level 3

Currently using EV 9.0.4 on older 32 bit hardware . Looking to migrate to EV10 however require to invest in new hardware to support this. Existing server currentlly runs as the Domino Gateway / SQL / Vault Stores and Indexes

I propose to purchase a new server that will be the EVDG / SQL / Index Store. I have looked at purchasing a Netgear ReadyNAs 3200 24 TB NAS where I propose the Vault Stores will reside. Before migrating to EV 10 the Vault Stores will be moved to the NAS Storage. Current size of the Vault Store after 5 years (SIS) is 1TB we are not doing Mail Journalling but plan to turn this back on after migration. 750 users.

Backup is carried out with Backup Exec 2010 R3 Enterprise Vault Agent. I plan to close the existing parition and creat a new one.

Thoughts please If anyone os other ideas on NAS/CIFS storage that would be appreciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nate_D1
Level 6

That seems to be pretty consistent with our environment. Number of users, size of mail stores (we do journaling, so we are slightly less than double that number). We do run SQL on its own cluster, but with new hardware and the # of users you are likely OK.

We do our backups to an ExaGrid dedupe device that has CIFS/OST shares to the netbackup server. We have been pretty happy with this setup.

When you say you will close this partition and create a new, has that partition been the only one you have used since you installed EV? If your backup window is fine with this, I dont see any issue = however you might want to consider rolling those partitions more often. We started yearly and got down to doing them quarterly. This keeps our backup times down and makes it easy to reclaim the SAN space as we run expiry (i.e able to expire and reclaim a LUN for 1 year of mail after that year rolls off, as opposed to waiting 5 years to get your storage back, etc.)

Overall - Looks good!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Nate_D1
Level 6

That seems to be pretty consistent with our environment. Number of users, size of mail stores (we do journaling, so we are slightly less than double that number). We do run SQL on its own cluster, but with new hardware and the # of users you are likely OK.

We do our backups to an ExaGrid dedupe device that has CIFS/OST shares to the netbackup server. We have been pretty happy with this setup.

When you say you will close this partition and create a new, has that partition been the only one you have used since you installed EV? If your backup window is fine with this, I dont see any issue = however you might want to consider rolling those partitions more often. We started yearly and got down to doing them quarterly. This keeps our backup times down and makes it easy to reclaim the SAN space as we run expiry (i.e able to expire and reclaim a LUN for 1 year of mail after that year rolls off, as opposed to waiting 5 years to get your storage back, etc.)

Overall - Looks good!

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I am personally not in favor of running anything else on SQL then SQL itself.

As indexes are heavily used, and heavy used during conversion to 64-bit in EV10, that might cause a performance issue.

On the other hand, seeing your numbers, it *might* be ok.

I would suggest to put the index onthe nas also

Regards. Gertjan

pclarke
Level 3

Thanks Nate, yes this is the only partition that we have had since installing EV. Do you use Netgear ReadyNas for your Vault Stores?

With the current enviroment running short of diskspace I hope to better manage the partitions on the larger NAS storage by closing them more frequently (Yearly). We dont expire the data.

GerjanA, I was under the impression that it was not advisable to store the indexes on NAS they were better suited to be on faster storage. The hardware purchased will have suitable internal storage to keep the indexes. 

Once a partition has been closed would it possible to copy the data (robocopy/rsync) to say a secondary NAS storage for DR purposes?

Just mulling with ideas just now.

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

Agree on indexes. If you have local disks to host them, that would be best.

In my current environment, we use robocopy to copy over the data to the DR-site, works without problems. You will have to do some configuration (i.e. mirror, so deletes are also replicated). This due to the collections being made, and dvs's 'disappearing due to that.

Regards,

Regards. Gertjan

Nate_D1
Level 6

You sure can copy over your partitions - you can even copy your active partition, in fact here is a question I just posted to the forums about that exact issue!:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/move-vaultstores-one-lun-another

We use an HP EVA series of SANs for all of our storage. I definitely agree that doing smaller partitions helps manage disk space, we have less than 1GB of 'wasted' space per partition. If you are not running expiry I bet yearly will be great for you.