cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New EV8 Implementation: Outlook SP3, Windows 2008 64Bits SP2? EV Client? and etc.

doctortt
Level 6

Hi guys,

We're going to implement EV8 for Exchange 2003. I have a couple of questions:

1)  Can I install Outlook with SP3 on the EV server? Does Outlook need to be SP2?

2)  Does anyone have EV8 installed on Windows Server 2008 64Bits with SP2? (Win 2008 SP2 released yesterday)
      For those who have EV8 installed on Win 2008 64bits SP1, did you experience any problems? Anything I should be aware?

3)  We're going to deploy the EV client to the workstations. How can we hide them from users seeing the icons? The Archive server is not yet in production, and we don't want the users to click those EV icons.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
EV writes a hidden message into your exchange account, which the client then reads out. Cheers Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited
1) Outlook 2003 Sp3 is supported and works great for us.
2) Not yet.
3) The users wont see the icons unless their mailbox is enabled in EV.

MichelZ
Level 6
Hi there

What you can and cannot install is listed in the Compatibility Guide:
ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Exchange_Mailbox_Archiving_Unit/276547.pdf

This leads us to:

1) Yes, you can. Outlook 2003 SP3 is supported in EV8 with the following restriction:

An issue exists in Outlook 2003 SP3 and Outlook 2007 SP1, with items that have 2048 or more recipients in the
To, CC or BCC fields, or have more than 2048 attachments. If you are likely to be affected by this issue, it is
addressed by a Microsoft hotfix for Outlook 2003 SP3. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948073. The
recommended registry value is 0xFFFFFFFF.

2) No, but we have installed it on Win2008 RTM 64-bit. No problems, just keep in mind that Registry changes are under the WOW64 Node in 64-bit, and that you install 32.bit ASP.NET:
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/294140.htm

SP2 is not yet supported, and we do not recommend installing it before it is supported.

3) If the individual User is not enabled for archiving, he won't see the icons.

Cheers
Michel

doctortt
Level 6
Hi Andrew,

1) That's great.
2) =( All our new servers will be on Windows 2008 64 bits.
3) That's great!

Also, we're going to install Symantec Endpoint Security antivirus client on the archive server.  What folders should I exclude? How do you guys do it?

MichelZ
Level 6
Have a look at this technote:
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/284807.htm

Works for us... ;)

Cheers

doctortt
Level 6

By the way, I heard that you need to install a hotfix/patch for Outlook SP3, right?

doctortt
Level 6

Wops, just saw that link you pasted.

doctortt
Level 6
Hi there.

I just installed the EV client; however, when I open Outlook, I see the EV toolbars. Why?

My archive server is not in production yet. We haven't even installed EV.

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
If you see the toolbar you are enabled.  Was your mailbox enabled as part of the Pilot or testing?

doctortt
Level 6
Hi Tony,

Yes, you're right. My mailbox was enabled during the pilot phase.  I installed the EV client on a user workstation, and the user didn't see the toolbar. How does the EV client know which mailbox is archive enabled?

Thanks a lot.

MichelZ
Level 6
EV writes a hidden message into your exchange account, which the client then reads out. Cheers Michel