cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New archiving policy not honoring settings

NaturesRevenge
Level 5

Hello all - thank you for any assistance or comments.

Exchange 2007 SP3
Enterprise Vault 902

Our default mailbox archiving policy moves content from Exchange to EV once it's 90 days old. We have a dozen or so mailboxes that need a 180-day archiving policy. A few of these mailboxes work; most of them do not. Here is how I've set things up.

I created a new mailbox policy (18-months) and set the archiving rule to move content, based on age, once it's 180 days old.
I created a new provisioning group, assigned the necessary mailboxes to this group, and assigned the new 180-day mailbox policy to this gruop.
I changed the order of the provisioning groups, where the default 90-day policy is on the bottom of the order and the 180-day policy is at the top.
I performed a "run now" on the provisioning task.
I performed a "synchronize now" on the mailbox archiving task.

If I go to Site | Targets | right-click Exchange | Display Policies Assigned to Mailboxes, the 18-month provisioning group and 18-month Exchange policy are both accurately associated.

This is where I officially ask for help! :)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

can you try zapping one of the mailboxes that isnt accepting the new archiving policy then provision, sync, and run now to test?

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

AndrewB

can you try zapping one of the mailboxes that isnt accepting the new archiving policy then provision, sync, and run now to test?

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If you run the archiving task against 1 of the mailboxes having the new policy, in report mode, what does the report indicate. Do you perhaps have age and quota enabled, and is the mailbox archived because of the quota?

Regards. Gertjan

AndrewB

also you can check from one of the clients if it's getting the new policy settings by pressing ctrl+alt and clicking on one of the EV icons in outlook. then in the log file that ops up look for INACTIVITYPERIOD and you'll see the setting for the number of days.

NaturesRevenge
Level 5

Thank you for the suggestion, GertjanA. I did verify that the archiving policy strategy is set to "based on age" and not "based on age and quota". When I ran the archiving task in report mode against a mailbox associated to the 18-month policy, it showed two messages that were ready to be archived. They were messages about 90.5 days old. Sure enough, when I ran the archiving task against that mailbox, these two messages were archived.

NaturesRevenge
Level 5

If I perform this "zap", is it challenging to pair the mailbox and associated Vault after the fact. This is why I'm willing - but hesitent - to zap.

AndrewB

there's nothing to it, you just re-enable them!

NaturesRevenge
Level 5

On one of the problem mailboxes, here are the values - this just baffles me!

INACTIVITYPERIOD = 18
INACTIVITYPERIODUNITS = 2

AndrewB

go ahead and set it to the value in days instead of months. then sync a couple times and check again.

KarlW
Level 6
Employee

Any EVPM settings on the mailboxes that could be overriding the policy settings?

-Karl

NaturesRevenge
Level 5

I changed the mailbox policy last night from 18 months to 540 days. The behavior is the same this morning. I'm still investigating!

NaturesRevenge
Level 5

Because the archiving policy works on some of the associated mailboxes and not on others, I would tend to believe it's a setting or settings specific to the mailbox, like you're suggesting, Karl. Thank you for the recommendation; I'll look into it.

I might have to actually break down and generate an official support ticket.

KarlW
Level 6
Employee

If you run Dtrace against the ArchiveTask and do a run now against a single affected mailbox you should be able to spot the policies been used on each folder.

-Karl

NaturesRevenge
Level 5

AndrewB, I opened a support ticket with Symantec. Using EVPM to "zap" each affected mailbox solved this problem. Thanks to everyone for your ideas and time!