cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New employee with same name as a terminated one. and archive still exists - old archive used?

bert_geiger
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi folks,

an employee, let's say John Smith, was terminated, his mailbox deleted but the archive was not. Now a new employee named John Smith joined the company and got an Exchange account with the same name. Will his account be associated with the old archive still existing for a John Smith or will EV create a new one?

As always, any comment will be appreciated.

Bert

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

SMu
Level 1

Hello,

i tested it in my lab. I deleted the old user including his mailbox and created a new one.
The LegaxyMbxDN changed when creating the new Mailbox therefor EV created a new archive.

Now i have two archives called "John Smith" but with different billing accounts and different permissions.
The deleted user is only visible as Unknown Account with an SID...
And i didn't set the SynchInMigrationMode in the registry.

Regards
Stephan

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Prone2Typos

Automagically, this is all controlled by sync in migration mode. If you suspect this is the way you are set up (re-using old archives) and this is a one off, easiest thing to do is to manually enable it and select a new archive... IMV. If you want to play in the automagial multi-verse then check out the stuff arround syncInMigraionMode (from memory so have some liberties with the exactness of it all)

Tonaco_pt
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi bert_geiger,

In my experience it will create a new archive.

We have "SynchInMigrationMode" always set to "1" and only mailbox reenabling for archiving are reconnected with there archive.

We have lots of user that leave the organization and late they came back (we remove the mailbox not the Vault archive), when they came back to reconnect to their archive we have to do it manually.

Some one deleted some AD User, and recreated, we attached the user to their disconnected Mailbox and Vault created a new archive.

I hope my experience helped?

You can read more about the registry Key SynchInMigrationMode 

bert_geiger

Hi folks,

thanks both of you for your replies - the SynchInMigrationMode key can be very helpful. There is one point I wonder about: the archive of "old" John Smith is named John Smith because die display name is the default for archive naming. Now what name will the archive of the "new" John Smith get?

Regards, Bert

Tonaco_pt
Partner    VIP    Accredited

The name of the new archive will be the display name of the mailbox in this case "John Smith". Yes, its possible to have the same display name (Exchange) so its possible to have the same archive name (EV)

When a user leave we add a prefix to the archive name something like "Leaver - ". 

António

GertjanA

As far as I know, if John Smith leaves, and later another John Smith joins, the last one will get a new archive. It has something to do with LegacyMbxDN or something.

You can read more on the SynchInMigrationMode setting here 

Regards. Gertjan

SMu
Level 1

Hello,

i tested it in my lab. I deleted the old user including his mailbox and created a new one.
The LegaxyMbxDN changed when creating the new Mailbox therefor EV created a new archive.

Now i have two archives called "John Smith" but with different billing accounts and different permissions.
The deleted user is only visible as Unknown Account with an SID...
And i didn't set the SynchInMigrationMode in the registry.

Regards
Stephan