cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New vault search in EV11 opens all emails in IE.

FlyingBus
Level 4

We've upgraded some test users (IT only thankfully) and our EV 11.0.1 Enterprise vault search (the new one) gives a very nice web view of the archive. however opening any mail causes this to open IE and do the 'download file' operation. This we clearly don't want to do, we would like to open the mail in outlook. 

I've trawled the internet for info on this and I understand that EV uses the web browser now so it's 'IEs fault'. But our users will not see this this way. 

I found a few articles about modifying reg keys etc, but we found no solution that actually worked. Has anyone been able to set outlook as the .msg opening program and successfully bypassing the irritating new behaviour? 

Windows 7 x64

Outlook 2010 

IE9 (or 11, doesn't matter). 

6 REPLIES 6

JimmyNeutron
Level 6
Partner Accredited
In control panel > default programs and settings. Set outlook as your mail app along with any other file extension you want to open with outlook. Also, reset IE in the advanced tab of internet options.

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

sorry Jimmy but that's not going to bypass the fact that IE wants to download the MSG file. it is what it is right now with IE and the new EV search. for the OP, i am curious to know why you have to open a file outside of EV search because i think it does a great job of rendering the email in the browser and you can see everything even attachments. if your reason is because users want to reply or forward the email then i wonder how often are they really doing that with an old email (typically not that often) and is having to click "open" after IE downloads the MSG really that big of an issue.

FlyingBus
Level 4

Control panel option isn't relevant to this discussion. the operating system already knows how to open .msg files. the problem is that the behaviour via IE when opening an msg files is to prompt with 'open or save' 

that means that double clicking a mail, which is something 99% of our users will do, were previously shown the mail as expected. Now after 'upgrade' thy will be shown an IE window with 'should you open or save this document?' followed by clicking open. followed by outlook opening the document. 

Our company has a lot of money and our users behave as such. they will quite rightly be very vocal about the downsides of this upgrade. I find it myself very very irritating (upgraded my search experience for test) and wouldn't push this to any users, because it doesn't pass the dogfood test. 

Our userbase works with mail going back years in some cases (up to 12 years) and they will forward mails to each other fairly regularly about legacy stuff. 

This is IE behaviour to be sure, but it's something that must have been exceedingly obvious during testing of this product. there must be a solution for this I can't believe the experience i'm having is the intended client experience. 

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello FlyingBus.

Unfortunately at the moment there is no workaround on this.

You might want to talk to your Veritas PM to see if he can assist in getting this resolved.

I work at a large financial institute, and the users are thrilled with the new search. The ability to have the archive shown into one screen (Archive Explorer and Search), the ability to easily build advanced search queries, and safe them (for later use), the hithighlighting etc are all features they love. That they have to click Open to open the message in Outlook is something they don't like, but the advantages are much higher than that one disadvantage. In addition to that, having the search available on the mobile devices (Blackberry, and via Good on Ipad/Iphone) is really appreciated.

As you say, the problem is with IE, so you really should be complaining to Microsoft, not Veritas :)

You might want to find a few users to run a POC with. Explain this one thing to them, but do show them the ease of using the new search.

If that does not work for your users, you might want to consider using Vault Cache, headers only, with Virtual Vault. That will rock their socks off.

Greetz,

GJ

Regards. Gertjan

FlyingBus
Level 4

Hi GertjanA, 

thanks for the response. Pretty disappointed though. I agree that the new search is nice, but we have a very vocal userbase that is not particularly fond of the vault already and this will be another nail in the coffin. I think this falls a bit on Symantec/Veritas to make this design decision with such an obvious penalty, but I guess it doesn't really matter at this point. I will engage support and see if anything turns up. We do already use the virtual vault, so hopefully users are using that. Thanks for your reponse.

Swipe
Level 3

I advise our users to use the 'Launch in a new window' option from the hamburger menu in the top right. From this new browser window the prompt to open the .msg file appears in a bar at the bottom of the window rather than an external popup. This seems to be preferable for our users.