cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NewSID EVault problem

Andre_Lagareiro
Level 2

Dear All,

We are an institution with over 5000 outlook users currently migrating from Novell to AD.

Previously the workstations have been ghost imaged leaving an awful lot of common sids around, and AD doesn't like that.

We now have to run the NewSID.exe tool but this breaks eVault. it simply concatenates the emails and doesn't prompt for eVault credentials anymore.

Has anyone experienced this before and come up with any solutions?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andre_Lagareiro
Level 2

Dear all,

The solution for this problem appears to be simply renaming or deleting the UsrClass.dat file from the user profile under:

C:\Documents and Settings\"USER"\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows

This forces the creation of a new HKCU settings in the registry and appear to have no impact on other applications.

Unfortunatly a lot of consultancy time was wasted on this problem, hopefully someone else who comes across this issue will benefit from our findings..

Regards

Message Edited by Andre Lagareiro on 02-02-2009 06:02 AM

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Paul_Grimshaw
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi,

This is not something that I have ever come across and searching the internal KB's I cannot find anything pertaining to running newsid causing an issue with our client functionality.

So I did a quick test and ran newsid on my test XP SP3 client with EV2007 SP4 Full Client installed.

After reboot I could still retrieve items and archive items so functionality has not been affected.

Can you please clarify what you mean by "it simply concatenates the emails"

Also it should never prompt for credentials if you try to open an archived item. This usually means that you have not got the correect local intranet settings.

Andre_Lagareiro
Level 2

Thanks for replying Paul.

Regarding the credentials it is not an issue. We are using eDirectory with Novell Client for Windows v4.91 SP2.

The enterprise Vault emails appear concatenated and when you open them they do not appear in full, just a few lines of text.

After running newsid all the local user profiles that had previously used outlook are affected. We have tried erasing the cache and reinstalling the forms but no success. If we then delete one of the profiles or a new user starts using outlook eVault works fine.

Let me know of any thoughts.

Regards

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

Interesting. Have you tried running the EVResetClient utility? c:\program files\enterprise vault\evclient it is.

From description I initially thought you might have a setting to show shortcut content. But, if new users do not have that, problem might be in 'something' related to the sid-change, messing up Outlook profile.

I assume it is no option to get everyone new profiles ;-))

Gertjan

Regards. Gertjan

Andre_Lagareiro
Level 2

Yes we have used the reset utility but it doesn't work. The sid change is indeed messing up the outlook profile.

As you assumed new profiles are not really an option..

EV_Guru
Level 4
Partner

When you have broken the SID ID you must assign each archive to the user again, then run a sync task. Then it must be set as it was before...

www.longerich.com

Andre_Lagareiro
Level 2

Dear all,

The solution for this problem appears to be simply renaming or deleting the UsrClass.dat file from the user profile under:

C:\Documents and Settings\"USER"\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows

This forces the creation of a new HKCU settings in the registry and appear to have no impact on other applications.

Unfortunatly a lot of consultancy time was wasted on this problem, hopefully someone else who comes across this issue will benefit from our findings..

Regards

Message Edited by Andre Lagareiro on 02-02-2009 06:02 AM