cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No valid licence key installed EV 5.0

Dork_Angel
Level 3

We have had KVS Vault running for years to archive our external mail (all external mail is copied to a mailbox which is then archived into the vault and deleted from the mailbox).

A few weeks ago, it stopped archiving (i.e. the mail was not copied to the vault and wasn't being deleted from the mailbox). I wasn't able to find a solution but for whatever reason it started working again on it's own after a few days of me poking about and cleared down the outstanding mail. A two weeks ago it stopped again but this time it didn't restart and the mailbox is curently at about 8GB and growing daily.

This was all set up before I started working here so I've been looking through to see how it is set up and how it works. I have noticed that there is a service called Enterprise Vault Archiving Service for <server name> which is set to automatic but wasn't running. When I started it, it stopped immediately saying there was nothing for it to do. Later I was looking through the event logs and noticed the Archive Service was giving two errors.

1. There is no valid licence key installed. The Archiving Service will not run until you install a licence key; and

2. The Archiving service for <server name> could not be started due to startup errors.

Reading through the admin help, it looks like we are running in demo mode (ie. restore but no archiving) though I can't see anything to say this for sure.

The admin help also referred to a licence key file called keys_computername.txt which I found by searching the hard drive and it appears to be in the correct location. Nothing in this licence seemed to refer to any sort of expiry date and has the word permenant in it. I have restarted the Server a few times and restarted the Enterprise Vault Admin Service which is supposed to install the licence key but nothing changed. I did note though that once the licence key is installed there should be a folder called Installed Licences but I have searched for this and it doesn't seem to exist.

Idea's?

Regards.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

As I said above, I think you might have to bring someone in to look at it and figure out what is going on.  EV 5 is way past support so I doubt contactin Symantec Support directly will get you anywhere.

View solution in original post

36 REPLIES 36

TonySterling

WOW, EV 5!  That is a blast from the past.  What is the modified date of the license file?  If someone changed something with it they may very well have corrupted it.

Without a valid license nothing new will be archived but you will still be able to view items.  You might try looking for a backup of the license from before you started having problems and putting that in place.  

Unfortunately, you are on a version that is so out of support if you can't find a backup/working version of that license you may very well be stuffed.

TonySterling

One thing I thought of, the license keys used to be tied to the EV server.  Has anything changed on the server?

Patti_Rodgers
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified

Is the name of the file actually keys_computername.txt or is it named after the server, like keys_EVServer1.txt?

It should be named after the lanman name of that machine so make sure that the name is resolving properly back to that box, and that the DisableLoopbackCheck and DisableStrictNameChecking registry keys are properly set.  That's #5 and #6 in this article: https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH71173.html

BTW we are now up to EV11.0.1 so if you plan to keep EV around, you really should be looking to get some upgrades done.  We can't really help you if you need support on your current version (both from an "end of life" perspective and a "no one remembers" perspective). We want all of our customers on modern, supported versions so we can help solve issues that pop up!

Dork_Angel
Level 3

The key is named after the server (Keys_<actual server name>.txt) as it should be and its last modified date is 22/12/2004. It is located in C:/Program Files/Enterprise Vault.

There are identical copies of it in folder D:/KV5 SP3 Software and in  D:/Program Files/Enterprise Vault.

I don't think anything has been done to the Vault server (bar usual patches) though the mailbox it archives may have been moved about on its server as we have moved most of our mailboxes to virtual servers. This one is still on the physical one though.

Note - The licence is not backed up, though we do seem to have a few copies of it on different drives on the server.

FreKac2
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

EV5, that was even before my time :)

Have you looked in the .txt file and see if there is an end-date?

I don't think there should be one but may be worth a look.

I know from demo-licenses that there are end-dates in the license files but haven't seen it on real licenses.

But haven't looked in a keys_******.txt file in a long time.

Dork_Angel
Level 3

There is no date mentioned at all in the licence .txt file (bar copyright 2000, 2004).

It does use the words "permenent" and "uncounted" after the following features:

FEATURE Base KVSPLC 1.000;

FEATURE Journal KVSPLC 1.000; and

FEATURE EVPM KVSPLC 1.000.

TonySterling

That is your perm key.  You could try to put a new version of the license in the root folder of Enterprise Vault and restart the EV Admin service.

Dork_Angel
Level 3

That file is already in C:\Program Files\Enterprise Vault folder and I have restarted both the EV Admin service and the server to no effect.

Is the licence key different to that? If so, any idea what it might be called or where I could get a new version?

TonySterling

Do this:

1. Stop the EV Admin Service
  2. Start a dtrace of the EV Admin service and DirectoryService
  3. Start the EV Admin Service
  4. post the results of the dtrace here.

To start the dtrace you can refer to this:

Note : This command window may be minimized if required, but do not close

1. Log onto the EV Server as the Vault Service Account

2. Open a Command Prompt window

3. Navigate to the EV program folder (typically C:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault)

4. Type dtrace and press Enter

5. At the Dtrace prompt (DT>) type View and press Enter

6. Record the Id number beside the service or services that the trace will be run to capture

7. Use the following command to set Dtrace for logging against a specific service

set servicename_or_ID level

For example, if running a Dtrace on the Admin Service where the ID is 1 and the logging level required is verbose (maximum), then the syntax would be:

set 1 v

Note : For a list of possible services to dtrace then please see TECH129595

8. Repeat step 7 for as many separate processes as required

9. Use the following command to specify the log file name:

log tracelog.log

Note: A path can also be entered for the location of the file. If only a file name is provided, the location of the trace file will be the directory from which Dtrace has been run. For example:

log d:\tracelog.log

10. Reproduce the issue or wait until the issue reoccurs

11. At the DT prompt, type quit and press enter

12. Type y to confirm and disable all tracing

13. Collect the log file and attach it to a post here.

Dork_Angel
Level 3

Ok, I've done that (see attached). What I did afterwards was:

Restart EV Admin service.

Open admin console - failed

Restart rest of EV services (oops)

Try restarting EV Archiving Service (stopped immediately)

Open admin console.

Try restarting EV Archiving Service from console (nope)

EV Archiving Service Properties - Schedule - Run Now

(Unable to perform Run Now on service; Reason: Server state - Stopped; Start the service and try again)

EV Archiving Service Properties - Synchronization - Synchronize

(Unable to perform Synchronization of exchange server SHEXV02; Reason: Server state - Stopped)

Stopped trace

TonySterling

Sorry, but the tracelog is empty.  Did you upload the right file?

Dork_Angel
Level 3

Hmmm. Wouldn't let me upload the notepad file so I thought I had copied it into word but I have to work round our department's document management system to store stuff on my own PC. Hopefully this one has something...

TonySterling

Ok, it finds the key here: C:\Program Files\Enterprise Vault\keys_SCKVS01.txt

But based on what you posted above it seems you are only licensed for journaling.  Can you post the contents of all your license files?

Dork_Angel
Level 3

Details from Keys_SCKVS01.txt file:

# Copyright 2000, 2004 kVault Software Ltd. All rights reserved

#

# This file contains license keys for Enterprise Vault.

# These license keys are valid only on the computer for which they were issued.

#

# WARNING

# Do not edit this file. Any changes to this file may invalidate these license keys.

#

# License keys for system: SCKVS01

#               Reference: EVPRD00695

FEATURE Base KVSPLC 1.000 permanent uncounted 8E19E6AEEDDE \

VENDOR_STRING=2;0;0 HOSTID=ANY

FEATURE Journal KVSPLC 1.000 permanent uncounted 446E8A7CF6DB \

VENDOR_STRING=2;0;950 HOSTID=ANY

FEATURE EVPM KVSPLC 1.000 permanent uncounted AD938696D6D6 \

VENDOR_STRING=2;0;0 HOSTID=ANY

TonySterling

Thanks for that, now, can you post a screen shot from your Vault Admin Console of what services you have?

Dork_Angel
Level 3

Thanks.

Here you go.

TonySterling

are you able to start the EV Journal Service for ****?  those services should run based on your license file.

Dork_Angel
Level 3

Apologies for the wait but I was off yesterday.

Only one of the servers listed is being used (ie. the 02 one). It's journal service stops and starts fine.

TonySterling

So what exact mailbox has 8GB in it as referenced in the original post?

Can you post a screen shot of the Vault Admin Console's Archive section?