cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No valid licence key installed EV 5.0

Dork_Angel
Level 3

We have had KVS Vault running for years to archive our external mail (all external mail is copied to a mailbox which is then archived into the vault and deleted from the mailbox).

A few weeks ago, it stopped archiving (i.e. the mail was not copied to the vault and wasn't being deleted from the mailbox). I wasn't able to find a solution but for whatever reason it started working again on it's own after a few days of me poking about and cleared down the outstanding mail. A two weeks ago it stopped again but this time it didn't restart and the mailbox is curently at about 8GB and growing daily.

This was all set up before I started working here so I've been looking through to see how it is set up and how it works. I have noticed that there is a service called Enterprise Vault Archiving Service for <server name> which is set to automatic but wasn't running. When I started it, it stopped immediately saying there was nothing for it to do. Later I was looking through the event logs and noticed the Archive Service was giving two errors.

1. There is no valid licence key installed. The Archiving Service will not run until you install a licence key; and

2. The Archiving service for <server name> could not be started due to startup errors.

Reading through the admin help, it looks like we are running in demo mode (ie. restore but no archiving) though I can't see anything to say this for sure.

The admin help also referred to a licence key file called keys_computername.txt which I found by searching the hard drive and it appears to be in the correct location. Nothing in this licence seemed to refer to any sort of expiry date and has the word permenant in it. I have restarted the Server a few times and restarted the Enterprise Vault Admin Service which is supposed to install the licence key but nothing changed. I did note though that once the licence key is installed there should be a folder called Installed Licences but I have searched for this and it doesn't seem to exist.

Idea's?

Regards.

36 REPLIES 36

Dork_Angel
Level 3

All mail we send externally needs kept so it is copied to this mailbox. Every hour the emails should disappear from the mailbox and be moved to the latest Journal Archive on the Enterprise Vault server.

The last email I can find in the vault is in Journal Archive_0009 and is dated 26/04/2015 at 09:02. The mailbox itself however still has emails from 24/04 on. There were a couple of powers cut around that time which effected our connections. The servers were fine but quite a few of the switches and routers went down.

The mailbox is on the *****02 server and now has 58000+ messages waiting in the inbox. There is also a folder in it called Enterprise Vault Journaling Service which contains a sub-folder called 'failed to store'. It contains 25000+ emails dated between 26/01/2015 and 25/02/2015, It also contains a single email from 17/04 and 9 dated 24/04/2015.

When the service started working again after last time I was experimenting with dropping some of the emails from this into the Inbox to see if it would pick them up for archiving. Could this have broken it?

I presume you mean the archives sub-folders. Only Journal part has anything under it (see attached).

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Ok, that means you don't need to worry about the archive services not starting.  :)

So you have an issue with the journal mailbox not being archived as expected.  The issues you experienced with power outages could have affected EV's ability to connect to the journal mailbox.  If you leave the journal service running does the count go down?

You might need to create a new journal mailbox and target it with EV, this will allow it to start archiving the current mail.  It might be possible for EV to work through the backlog of the current if nothing else is being added.  

HTH,

Dork_Angel
Level 3

That sounds encouraging.

The journaling service has been running and has been restarted as well both with and without a server reboot.

If I go into the properties of the Journaling service and click on Synchronization tab and choose Selected journal mailboxes and click Synchronize it lists the mailbox. If I double-click on the mailbox it gives me the size and item count but this is incorrect. If I select the mailbox for synchronization it tells me it cannot be synchronized.

I take it you mean I need to create a new journaling mailbox on the *****02 server?

TonySterling

If it cannot be synchronized then there could be a problem with the mailbox.  

Yes, I would create a new mailbox on the 02 server and then make it be the Exchange Journal mailbox so new items go to it.  Then target that for archiving with the journal task.  Then you could do the old drag-n-drop from the old journal mbx to the new.  Might be the simplist way.

Dork_Angel
Level 3

Created a new mailbox on the *****02 exchange server as suggested.

On the Enterprise Vault server I can go into the Journaling Service properties, choose the Journaling tab and  browse to the new Mailbox and select it.

If I go to the Synchronization tab however and choose Selected Journal mailboxes - list all available, it doesn't come up as a journal mailbox (the only one listed is the original one).

I noticed under the Tools drop-down menu there is an Enable Mailboxes option. Tried this but it tells me the Archiving Service needs to be running to Enable and Disable mailboxes.

Any idea where I'm going wrong?

TonySterling

You do not enable a journal mailbox that so I am glad it didn't work.  Did you make the mailbox the journal mailbox in Exchange?

Dork_Angel
Level 3

I don't know, I made a copy of the mailbox that was already there using Active Directory and copied all it's settings and permissions.

Most of the instructions I can find talk about turning on Journaling on the mailstore of the Exchange Server (which should be already done as both the original and new mailbox are on the same server and the same datastore). In addition the following instructions don't seem to work:

• Right click on the relevant mailbox store and select Properties
  • Check the option Archive all messages sent or received by mailboxes on this store
  • Click Browse
  • Select the name of the user account/mailbox that has been created as the journal mailbox
  • Click OK to finish

IE There is no option Archive all messages sent or received by mailboxes to check.

**Edit - Found this option now though it's greyed out (and not ticked). I assume the database has to be dismounted before you can change it. However if this datastore holds the original mailbox it is unlikely it was ever ticked?**

Also the instructions seem to imply that the Exchange server will send messages it sends out to this mailbox. In our case though we have a different server running Mail Marshall on our boundary which is the last place external emails go through as they leave and it's this server that sends copies of all the emails to the mailbox.

TonySterling

If the current mailbox is growing then it is enable as a journal mailbox.  Enabling a journal mailbox won't interfere with your Mail Marshall product.

Maybe it is greyed out because the other mailbox is enabled.  What version of Exchange is it?

Dork_Angel
Level 3

It's Exchange 2003 v5.2 (SP 2)

TonySterling

Have you looked at the mailstores of the other mailboxes?  That is where you need to enabling the journal mailboxes.

Dork_Angel
Level 3

They're all greyed out and not ticked (bar one which is used for deprovisioning accounts). I'll speak to my colleague tomorrow to see it its been locked down someway as the permissions look fine..

incidentally I don't suppose this old version of EV would work with a virtual server?

TonySterling

It might but you would want to P2V it to see.  It might cause it to stop working if the license in locked the server.

Dork_Angel
Level 3

Appologies for coming back again but I am getting contradictory information from different sources. My colleague is of the impression that the mailbox isn't a journal one (this would be backed up by the server doesn't have the archiving bit ticked). However obviously EV talks all about journaling.

You mentioned that the mailbox is enabled for journaling because it is growing. However is that not because the Mail Marshall server manually cc's a copy of all external mail to this mailbox as opposed to anything the mailbox or the server it sits on is doing? All I have to do is let the team that looks after that server know the email address of new mailbox and they can amend it so the emails are cc'd there instead.

When I go to the Properties of the Journaling Service and choose the Journaling tab and click on Browse, it lists all the mailboxes still on the ****02 server, including the new one I created and lets me select it (even though the field is greyed out) and lets me save it.

The synchronization tab however only ever listed the old mailbox but fails to synchronize, producing a MAPI error.

Other random info.

We got a lot of SQL connection errors between 24/04 and 01/05 but they stopped and the only error was the licence one (which blooks like it was caused by me trying to start the service. I also notice there were a lot of information events about Trace (Archive Service) and Trace (Retrieval service) that weren't showing prior to this happening. Any idea what they are for?

TonySterling

Since the only archives you have are journal ones EV thinks it is doing journaling and the journal task must have been configured to archive that mailbox.  Since journaling isn't enable it must be getting the mail from your Mail Marshall.  When you look on the Journal Service properties do you see a System mailbox listed?  If yes, can you verify that mailbox is good to go?

From the sounds of things, you might need to engage someone that has EV 5 experience to give you some hands on help.

Dork_Angel
Level 3

The mailbox 'smadm' shows against the Mailbox field in the Journaling tab of the Journaling Service's properties. This is the mailbox that we have been using for years. if I click on Browse... I get a list of mailboxes that includes (among others) 'smadm' and the new 'smadm backup' that I created. The system mailboxes don't show on this list.

Dork_Angel
Level 3

Further to this, we moved the mailbox to a different server and back but that didn't make a difference either.

TonySterling

As I said above, I think you might have to bring someone in to look at it and figure out what is going on.  EV 5 is way past support so I doubt contactin Symantec Support directly will get you anywhere.