cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non-primary file group

Sortid
Level 6

Using EV9 SP3.  When setting up a vault store group, you get the option to set non-primary SQL file groups.  Just confirming, it is talking about upto 32 seperate sets of disk spindles for the fingerprint info?  Is this similar to the SQL notion of splitting a database across several disks to get spindle performance?  

I'm wondering when you would need to use this feature for it to have a noticible impact on performance?  Is it recommended in *most* set ups or only specific circumstances?  I've got 7000 users with journaling and DA.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Ok so the thing about the fingerprint databases is the fact that it's for new items going forward only, so your 385 million items so be included in the fingerprint database until such a time when you use move archive to push the items from one vault store to another and then they will be SIS'd under the new OSIS fingerprint model My suggestion is to just set up the OSIS and fingerprint now and just keep any eye out every so often at the disk queues and how big the mdf files become and then move them as necessary
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

JesusWept3
Level 6

7000 users with journaling and DA you will be fine, but it really depends on how many items you are archiving per day, how long you will keep them around for.

The new OSIS model they designed for EV8 was with the intention of large future growth where the database could store Trillions of files if it so needed, but the fact is for the size of that kind of database, it would just fall over if it was one single file, so you are right that you can have the others spread over seperate disks and spindles and sql servers etc to help spread the load

Most people aren't going to need this, but hey, you never know what your data will look like in 10 years time

Sortid
Level 6

Thanks JW, very prompt.  That's good to know.  We've had EV for about 5 years now, and have around 385,000,000 items in the vault store, so I guess we should be right for the next few years.  Can you go back at a later time and set this up?

JesusWept3
Level 6
Ok so the thing about the fingerprint databases is the fact that it's for new items going forward only, so your 385 million items so be included in the fingerprint database until such a time when you use move archive to push the items from one vault store to another and then they will be SIS'd under the new OSIS fingerprint model My suggestion is to just set up the OSIS and fingerprint now and just keep any eye out every so often at the disk queues and how big the mdf files become and then move them as necessary

Sortid
Level 6

I'm in the process of setting up a new vault store with SIS and will be migrating all archives soon.  Just testing the process on my dev system at the moment when I came across that setting.  As we are setting up a brand new SQL server I want to get it right the first time.  

I have just set up the group without ticking that box, and I can see under properties of the database in SQL under Files that it has a location for each file in the same drive as expected.  So that is where I would update the location of the files if I had to move them.  Thanks JW.