cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noob question about Sharepoint archiving

ANDREY_FYODOROV
Level 6

We have been using EV to archive Exchange since 2005. But we never tried archiving Sharepoint.

My impression about Sharepoint archiving has been like this - you define the [aged-based] policies for Sharepoint on your EV server and then target the Sharepoint sites and manually specify which [aged-based] policy should be used for that target.

However it seems that our higher-ups have a different expectation. They are actually thinking that there is a way to automatically link up each individual Sharepoint library's aged-based expiration settings into Enterprise Vault policies.  For example a user creates a new SP library and specifies that its contents should expire after 1 year. They think that this action will automagically hook into EV and create a custom policy for this SP library to archive items older than 1 year.

I highly doubt that this is how stuff works. Am I hopelessly behind the times?  Or were my higher-ups fed some bad information?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

With SharePoint you can actually archive everything with a 0 day and then create shortcuts later.  I am not sure but maybe that is what they are thinking.  So everything is archived with a 1 year retention. You can set the targets up so that Subsites of a Site Collection have a specific Retention category.

Give this a read, it will help you get an understanding of SharePoint:

EV Best Practice - Implementing Enterprise Vault for SharePoint (November 2011).pdf (877 kBytes)

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

With SharePoint you can actually archive everything with a 0 day and then create shortcuts later.  I am not sure but maybe that is what they are thinking.  So everything is archived with a 1 year retention. You can set the targets up so that Subsites of a Site Collection have a specific Retention category.

Give this a read, it will help you get an understanding of SharePoint:

EV Best Practice - Implementing Enterprise Vault for SharePoint (November 2011).pdf (877 kBytes)

ANDREY_FYODOROV
Level 6

Thanks!  The Best Practices doc gave me some ideas - I can add a column to a doc lib, and then have an EV archiving polocy rule based on the value of the column.  And the business people can control their doc lib columns.