cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ODBC connection to Database is missing or is not configured.

nwalsh
Level 4

Hello All,

I seem to be having a probelm with my email archive connection to the SQL db and i am wondering if anyone could help or suggest why this has happened.

We currently have install Enterprise Vault 11 installed on a windows 2012 x64 server sitting on a vmware host.

The mail archive was working up untill two weeks ago then all of a sudden i noticed that on the preview within EV GUI of an archived mail clicked on, I was getting the error (0x8000ffff)

I then checked the event logs on the server and the following errors were shown up.

Error 1

Error accessing Vault Store database.
 [Internal reference CStorageDBAccess::OpenDatabase()/AddConnection failed]
Database DSN: [MailboxVaultStore1] 

Error 2

ODBC connection to database MailboxVaultStore1 is missing or is not configured correctly 

Error 3

Abnormal error occurred 

Error:     Catastrophic failure  (0x8000ffff) 
Reference: CArchiveCrawler::SetContext 
Info:      Requestor - Indexing Service 
           1CFE82F8DF3F6214DAA6FAEB8264B88771110000vaultstore01 

Ive checked the ODBC 32/64bit connections on the mail archive server and they are connecting to the SQL server on the test. But i am still getting the same error messages. I removed all ODBC connections and re-added them back in. But still the same problem.

I have a support call open with Symantec/Veritas to see if they can help. But i thought that i would also ask here too as i persume that this would of happened to someone at some point.

Thanks Advance.

Noel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi noel, i understand that you removed the entries and readded them. i'm suggesting just removing the entries and restarting the EV services. (don't manually readd them.)

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi Noel,

Logged in as Vault Service Account I assume.

You used C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe to verify the systemDSN?

Do you use an instance? If so, is that listed in the 'which sql server do you want to connect to' window for a connection?

If you use the 'test' button, does that come back ok?

Did anything happen 2 weeks ago, possibly on SQL? new server? alias changed? SP applied? New SQL server all together perhaps?

Regards. Gertjan

nwalsh
Level 4

Hi GenrtjanA,

Yes that is correct, i am logged in using the Vault Service Account.

Yes i did check both 32 and 64 of the ODBC connection and they both past ok.

there was no change to the SQL server side.. All naming is still the same. no update or new server created.

Even support said they havent seen this error before.

ive attached the image shown the connection to the SQL server is correctly working.

Thanks

AndrewB

what if you remove the ODBC entries (make sure to check both 32 and 64bit) and restart the EV services?

nwalsh
Level 4

Hi Andrew,

thanks for the comment.

yes i removed them on both connections ( 32&64) and re-added them back in after stop start of services and also removing the odbc connection and restarting the server and adding them back in again. Still the same Error

AndrewB

Hi noel, i understand that you removed the entries and readded them. i'm suggesting just removing the entries and restarting the EV services. (don't manually readd them.)

nwalsh
Level 4

Hi Andrew,

I did as you mentioned, I removed the ODBC connection/s and restarted the service and the connection is now working back to the SQL db. the weird thing is that even tho i have removed the odbc connections that the connection is now working. A bit strange experience i do have to say.

Thank you for all youre comments and suggestions Lads.

I will have to inform support if they do come into this problem that they know how to fix it.

thanks again.