Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ODBC connections. TMP_MASTER_TMP

total_noob
Level 4
Partner
Hello

Ive seen some weird ODBC connections in data source administrator console called TMP_MASTER_TMP_FOR_*random number*

Whats the point of these connections? Can they be deleted? 

The reason for me asking is that im tracking down some SQL connection errors in EV marked with event id 13397 on the EV server and event id 18456 on the SQL server. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

total_noob
Level 4
Partner
Found the solution...

The fingerprint database had the wrong name in SQL manager. Somehow it missed a "1" on the end. 

I need new glasses :(

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
All ODBC Connections except for audit can be deleted and they will be re-created by the admin service if needed.
And are you sure its a random number or is it a date? ie something 20100816112802?
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

total_noob
Level 4
Partner
4 of these TMP connections:

No idea what that means :)

But why do these connections appear? Are they just temporary connections? 

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Hello Noob,

Check document: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/284571.htm
It describes the issue.
Additionally, check http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/346901.htm
I had that both. Following the notes resolved the issue

Succes
Regards. Gertjan

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

i can confirm what GertjanA referenced helped us out when we had the same issue

total_noob
Level 4
Partner
Deleted the TMP and the other (except the audit) connections and rebooted both the EV server and the SQL server. No luck so far.

I guess the source of the errors lies somewhere else. Going to check the SQL server and the permissions and logons there.

EVNoodles
Level 4
Employee
Usual lies with the fact of SQL being disconnected whilst in use, hence the TMP connections being created.

A good quick check on the overall view of permissions etc for EV would be to run the deployment scanner and check the output.

Ensuring you are logged on as the Vault Service Account.

total_noob
Level 4
Partner
Deployment scanner says its all good :(

Might as well post the whole error message on EV server:

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Enterprise Vault
Event Category: Storage Archive
Event ID: 13397
Date: 17.08.2010
Time: 13:36:06
User: N/A
Computer: host
Description:
The connection 'Provider=SQLOLEDB;Server=MSSQL;Database=EVVSGVaultStoreGroup1_1_1;Integrated Security=SSPI' was lost and the system is waiting to reconnect (Thread Id: 7860)

On the SQL server the error message the following:

Event id: 18456
Logon,Unknown,Login failed for user 'domain\ev_user'

Severity 14, state 16:

State 16 means something like "that the incoming user does not have permissions to log into the target database"

total_noob
Level 4
Partner
Found the solution...

The fingerprint database had the wrong name in SQL manager. Somehow it missed a "1" on the end. 

I need new glasses :(

AndrewB

can you give us a little more detail as to how you think that happened?

total_noob
Level 4
Partner
good question...

The 13397 error messages started after a reboot of the sql server. The sql server had not been rebooted for a pretty long time before that.. The 18456 error messages on the sql server on the other hand started sometime i june.

So i obviously asked myself why we did not see the 13376 until after the sql server reboot (1 week ago)? 
My best guess is that enterprise vault error log was already filled up every half minute of another warning message concerning the restore spool queue. I purged this queue the same day the customer did a restart of the SQL server so perhaps we did not see the 13397 messages because of the spool queue.

As for the name change in SQL manager i have no idea. Perhaps some SQL manager clicked around and screwed up the name by accident. 
There has not been any planned changes on the sql server or the ev server as far as i know either.

AndrewB

thanks for sharing