cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OVStoreSize

Edyxx
Level 5

Hello,

We are using VMware View Desktops. For this desktops I would like to limit OVStoreSize to 2 GB. I don't want to use a percentage of the disk size for View Desktops. But for physical desktops a percentage vault cache size is fine.

I have seen the OVStoreSize can be set in the registry under HK Current Users within the GUID. But I guess the GUID can be different with users.

Is there a way to set the OVStoreSize key for all View Desktops users in a group policy?

Thanks,

Edy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I know that in future versions of the client they are looking to have better handling for virtual desktops, th most common being that they want to disable Vault Cache for virtual desktops and keep it for users laptops and physical desktops, but when they have users that have both virtual and physical it makes things more complicated.

You can do it through VBScript easily enough to detect the PR KEY
This is the VBScript i wrote to detect it, its not very advanced or anything, but its worked 100% for me in the past

Option Explicit

Dim is64Bit, privateKey, vcRegLocation

const HKEY_CURRENT_USER = &H80000001
const HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE = &H80000002

is64Bit = returnOSType()
privateKey = returnPrivateKey(is64Bit)

If is64Bit = "AMD64" Then
  vcRegLocation = "SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Client\" & privateKey
Else
  vcRegLocation = "SOFTWARE\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Client\" & privateKey
End If

setOVStoreSize(vcRegLocation)

' Sets the OVStoreSize
Public Function setOVStoreSize(vcRegLocation)
  Dim oReg
  Set oReg = GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\.\root\default:StdRegProv")
  oReg.SetDwordValue HKEY_CURENT_USER, vcRegLocation, "OVStoreSize", "2097152"
End FunctionEnd Function

' Get the OS Type, whether its 64 bit or not
Public Function returnOSType()
  Dim output, oReg
  Set oReg=GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\.\root\default:StdRegProv")
  oReg.GetDWORDValue HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, "SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment", "PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE", output 
  Set oReg = Nothing	
  returnOSType = output
End Function

' Return the Private Key held in the registry
Public Function returnPrivateKey(OSType)
  Dim regPath, oReg, output, arrSubKeys, subkey
  output = "Not Found"
  Set oReg=GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\.\root\default:StdRegProv")

if OSType = "AMD64" Then
    regPath = "SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Client"
  Else
    regPath = "SOFTWARE\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Client"
  End If

oReg.EnumKey HKEY_CURRENT_USER, regPath, arrSubKeys

For Each subkey In arrSubKeys
    If Len(subkey) = 32 Then
      output = subkey
    End If
  Next

Set oReg = Nothing
  returnPrivateKey = output
End Function
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

JesusWept3
Level 6

The GUID is a key held as an attribute in the users mailbox so it will be different for nearly all users

I take it theres no way you can create two provisioning groups and desktop policies, one with a percentage for desktops/laptops and one with a physical size for TS/Citrix type users?

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
Can it not be set at the level above the GUID? Or under HKLM? Sorry, on a mobile device at the moment, and can't check or test.
Working for cloudficient.com

Edyxx
Level 5

Thanks for your answers.

I'm not the EV administrator. I cannot try another policy. But I doubt another policy will be helpful since the same users will be using EV in office and remotely via View desktops.

So I gues the solution is a reg key.

I tried to create the OVstoresize reg key one level above the GUID. But EV didn't recognized it. EV cache size was set according the percentage which is defined in the EV policy. Maybe there is a way to create the reg key in HK Current machine.

It would be helpful if somebody could confirm it can be done.

Thanks,

Edy

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

I think we used to do this in the past in a Citrix environment as part of a logon script. I don't have the script but the concept is that the logon script would have a method to detect if you're logging in to a virtual desktop (maybe read a key from the computer's registry, or by hostname if they all have something in common, etc, and then it would execute a command to do whatever you needed as far as drive mappings, setting environment variables, etc. i wish i had more specific details to share but i hope this can help you get on the right path.

JesusWept3
Level 6

I know that in future versions of the client they are looking to have better handling for virtual desktops, th most common being that they want to disable Vault Cache for virtual desktops and keep it for users laptops and physical desktops, but when they have users that have both virtual and physical it makes things more complicated.

You can do it through VBScript easily enough to detect the PR KEY
This is the VBScript i wrote to detect it, its not very advanced or anything, but its worked 100% for me in the past

Option Explicit

Dim is64Bit, privateKey, vcRegLocation

const HKEY_CURRENT_USER = &H80000001
const HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE = &H80000002

is64Bit = returnOSType()
privateKey = returnPrivateKey(is64Bit)

If is64Bit = "AMD64" Then
  vcRegLocation = "SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Client\" & privateKey
Else
  vcRegLocation = "SOFTWARE\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Client\" & privateKey
End If

setOVStoreSize(vcRegLocation)

' Sets the OVStoreSize
Public Function setOVStoreSize(vcRegLocation)
  Dim oReg
  Set oReg = GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\.\root\default:StdRegProv")
  oReg.SetDwordValue HKEY_CURENT_USER, vcRegLocation, "OVStoreSize", "2097152"
End FunctionEnd Function

' Get the OS Type, whether its 64 bit or not
Public Function returnOSType()
  Dim output, oReg
  oReg.GetDWORDValue HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, "SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment", "PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE", output 
  Set oReg = Nothing	
  returnOSType = output
End Function

' Return the Private Key held in the registry
Public Function returnPrivateKey(OSType)
  Dim regPath, oReg, output, arrSubKeys, subkey
  output = "Not Found"

if OSType = "AMD64" Then
    regPath = "SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Client"
  Else
    regPath = "SOFTWARE\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Client"
  End If

oReg.EnumKey HKEY_CURRENT_USER, regPath, arrSubKeys

For Each subkey In arrSubKeys
    If Len(subkey) = 32 Then
      output = subkey
    End If
  Next

Set oReg = Nothing