Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OWA archive and restore buttons

adebola24
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi

i've been experimenting with the OWA archive and restore buttons (rt click from OWA) enabled from the desktop policy and i need to set an expectation on what should be seen

its around archiving singular mail vs mail chains

i refer to a singular mail as an individual message which has no chain and a mail chain as a message which has been forwarded / replied and has a mail chain below it

when selecting a singular mail the 'archive' button is available however when archiving a 'mail chain' the button is not available UNLESS you open the chain using the drop down on the left and select individual items from the chain then archive those (i can explain more here if needed)     when this is done the entire message is shown as archived from outlook

if someone could set the expectation that would be great

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Can you share your specific version?

Also, what do you have set for this?

OWA 'Archive Policy' context menu option (Exchange OWA setting)

Article:HOWTO57520  |  Created: 2011-08-01  |  Updated: 2012-09-23  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO57520

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Can you share your specific version?

Also, what do you have set for this?

OWA 'Archive Policy' context menu option (Exchange OWA setting)

Article:HOWTO57520  |  Created: 2011-08-01  |  Updated: 2012-09-23  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO57520

adebola24
Level 5
Partner Accredited

hi this is ev 10.0.2 and exchange 2010 environment

i can now see that it is related to OWA conversations -

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/enterprise-vault-and-exchange-2010-owa

i'll check that setting tomorrow

Andrew_G_
Level 5
Employee Accredited

This simply stems from the fact that at the time the OWA integration was written, Enterprise Vault didn't have an easy way of finding out which items were part of an unexpanded conversation (i.e.mail chain).

If you are in conversation view, then Enterprise Vault actions will be available on items in expanded conversations, and also on single-item conversations. If you select multiple conversations, then only the single-item conversations in the selection will be acted upon. You cannot perform Enterprise Vault actions on a multi-item conversation at the top level.

Also note that in conversation view, only "basic" mode archiving is available. This is because items in a conversation could be in different folders, and different Enterprise Vault policies may apply, e.g. a different retention category may apply and be locked down in the different folders. It therefore makes no sense to show the user the enhanced archive dialog as it may not be possible to determine what values to show across conflicting policies.