cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OWA not working with EV7SP1

Jeffrey_Padilla
Level 3

I am having issues with OWA 2003 and "Search Archives" and "AE" only on one of our three exchange servers using EV 7SP1. The message I get when I click on either "Search Archives" or "AE" is this: "Reason: Unable to determine a web app url for vault access." Our exchange servers are clustered and we have one vault server per exchange server handling indexing and other services as normal. I have been working with Symantec on this issue and we have determined it to be somewhere in the IIS settings on our main Vault server, but are not sure where exactly. We have double and triple checked the exchange server settings such as the backend.ini lists, re-run the OWA & RPC configuration scripts for out backend exch servers, checked the settings in the vault server that handles that particular exch server such as "exchangeservers.txt", compared IIS to other vault servers to make sure one of our settings is not different in any way. We have deleted the "EVAnon" virtual directory in IIS, ran "cscript owauser.wsf /domain:mgmmirage /user:evowauser /password:<password> /exch2003" to re-create it, re-installed the binaries on the vault server, restarted all admin and IIS services several times, ping all exchange servers, vault servers and reverse the ping using the exchange servers and so on. Run proxycfg -d, with no luck. I can search using Outlook 2003 with no issues at all. The other exchange and vault servers work perfect. Our vault servers are on MS Server 2003 SP1.  Any help or suggested would sure be appreciated here.

6 REPLIES 6

andra_christie
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Had a similar issue and it was discovered that the domain entry in the EVBackEnd.ini was incorrect.

To verify this setting perform the following:

1) On the Back End Exchange server browse out to \Program Files\Enterprise Vault\OWA and open the EVBackEnd.ini file.
2) Find the entry exchange.defaultdomain=      and set to the correct domain.
3) Save the file and restart Outlook Web Access (OWA) and retest.

jimbo2
Level 6
Partner
Andra is correct. There are times when only the NetBIOS domain is present verify the fully qualified domain name is present:

Example:

WRONG: Widget

Correct: Widget.com

If I find a tech note I will post it.

Jim S.

Jeffrey_Padilla
Level 3
To verify this setting perform the following:

1) On the Back End Exchange server browse out to \Program Files\Enterprise Vault\OWA and open the EVBackEnd.ini file.
2) Find the entry exchange.defaultdomain=      and set to the correct domain.
3) Save the file and restart Outlook Web Access (OWA) and retest.

A co-worker and I  made sure to check these settings and also compared them to a working exchange/vault server using OWA. The settings were identical in the configuration except for the individual server name and IP addresses as necessary. The exchange.defaultdomain= xxxx.com was correct. We did not restart Outlook Web Access because we made no changes. Should we try to restart OWA and what benefit would that be by restarting OWA and not making any changes? Thank you for your comments.

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Jeffrey

Try to reboot the server, we never know.... :)

Cheers
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

jimbo2
Level 6
Partner
If all else fails then you can turn on advanced logging in the backend INI file.

disabled setting is "0"
Highest Setting is "0"

There are two areas to enable the 'Exchange' and the 'Enterprise Vault'.

I do not have a system in from of me but there is a log directory under the EV install on the backend server. Once the backend.ini file logs are modified then repro the issue and the log directory will populate with the log information.

You can post that information if you like.

Jim S.

Jeffrey_Padilla
Level 3
I finally got this working. What I did  was this;

Delete and re-create EVAnon Virtual Directory and the ExchangeServers.txt, on the vault server OWAUSER.WSF script was run to recreate the EVAnon VD.
The IP Addresses for exchangeservers.txt were manually added and NOT copied.
Ran proxycfg -d to remove the need to use the proxy bypass list on Exchange.

I could not restart IIS on a Production Exchange servers as suggested, but after working on the above steps, this worked. I think somewhere in the .txt files, by copying previous ones, they may have been corrupted.

I