cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OWA retrievel = 404

EVSpinner
Level 5

Hiya, I was wondering if anyone might have any opinion on the following and suggest any next steps I might try to resolve a 404 when trying to retrieve an archived item via OWA

Environment is Exchange 2003 - not clustered - 1 x backend and 1 x front end

EV9

Same symptoms internally and externally

Tried running OWA setup and get 'Installation of of the EV OWa 2003 extensions not covered by this interactive tool'

EVServers.txt and ExchangeServers.txt present and correct

Uninstall and reinstall OWA plugins on front and back

Created a new EVAnon account and ran the owauser.wsf script

Ran EVort and got 'Failed - Virtual Directories Report' - not really sure what to do with this?

Checked IIS logs and can see a poll from the users machine - his logon name at least - to the EV server IP address, so I'm assuming that's the retrieval request

At this point I'm completely out of ideas - anyone got any pointers?

11 REPLIES 11

Arjun_Shelke
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Do you EV Toolbar in OWA? You can try enabling logging on Backend exchange by modifying the EVBackend.ini file. (Its located under EV OWA extensions installation directory, c:\program files\enterprise vault\owa). You need to change the vaules from 0 to 2 in log lines.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Refer the following document 

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO58397#v9934730

Check for the authentication realted settings on the virtual directories.

EVSpinner
Level 5

Thanks for reply folks, I will check your suggestions and work on this some more

In reply to Advisor, no I don't see any EV Tool bar

Arjun_Shelke
Level 6
Employee Accredited

OK so that said, EV OWA extensions are not working properly. To troubleshoot step-by-step, you can:

1. Check Data Acces Account on EV Server, open Vault admin console >> Right click on Directory on <EVServer> and select Properties. Click on Data Access Account tab. Do you see any user listed there?

It should list the anon user which you have configured in EVAnon virtual directory properties section.

2. Goto properties of Shopping Service from the VAC >> EV Servers >> EVServerName >> Services >> Shopping Service >> Right click and select properties. Note the shopping location and browse it Windows explorer and check the associated permissions with the shopping basket folder. The anon user should have Full rights on this folder.

3. If any of the above found missing then after modification, restart the EV Admin Service and synchronize all users from archiving task properties.

4. Assuming you have ExchangeServers.txt in place containing all Exchange IP addresses, check the IIS logs on EV Server for restore. Requesting IP of exchange should have been added in allowed list (ExchangeServers.txt)

5. If you dont see any such request on EV Servers IIS log, then its EV OWA extensions which is not triggering the request.

6. On Backend Exchange Server, access OWA using following URL http://BackendServerName/Exchange. While logging in, enter domain\username and check if you see the EV Toolbar. (While logging is enabled in EVbacklend.ini file.

7. Reproduce the issue and check the logs folder under EV OWA extensions install directory.

Have you changed anything recently? such as installed Exchange hotfix or service pack

Arjun_Shelke
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Did you try these steps?

EVSpinner
Level 5

1. Check Data Acces Account on EV Server, open Vault admin console >> Right click on Directory on <EVServer> and select Properties. Click on Data Access Account tab. Do you see any user listed there?

Present and correct

It should list the anon user which you have configured in EVAnon virtual directory properties section

Configured

. Goto properties of Shopping Service from the VAC >> EV Servers >> EVServerName >> Services >> Shopping Service >> Right click and select properties. Note the shopping location and browse it Windows explorer and check the associated permissions with the shopping basket folder. The anon user should have Full rights on this folder.

This wasn't configured so I added it

3. If any of the above found missing then after modification, restart the EV Admin Service and synchronize all users from archiving task properties.

Completed, tested again in OWA and it still fails - presumably I'd also need to do IIS restarts and log out and back into OWA as well?

I just came across this link: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH48435

I don't know if a hotfix has been applied, but I am finsing out:

I'll continue tomorrow and update further

Pradeep-Papnai
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Can you enable OWA 2003 logging as per TN http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH58828 and upload log for review?

EVSpinner
Level 5

Morning, I should have mentioned this yesterday - I did make the logging/change on the Exchange Backend server, and then replicated the OWA retrieval (also on the backend server), then navigated to the diagnostic client folder as per the EVBackEnd.ini file - nothing. No log file generated. The ini states where the log file will be generated, so it's not like I'm looking in the wrong place, right?

Also, I looked in the IIS logs on the backend server for a 404 as per this article - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH53047&profileURL=https%3A%2F%2Fsy... - again nothing

Arjun_Shelke
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Can you post the IIS log from Backend server? If the EV OWA logs are not generated then there could be an issue with control files. From IIS logs, we can check which controls are being used.

One more thing, do you have reverse proxy setup?

EVSpinner
Level 5

Here are a copy of the backend IIS logs as requested - I have logged a case with Symantec so I will post a solution when I have more information

Best regards

Arjun_Shelke
Level 6
Employee Accredited

OK cool, I'll let you know my analysis of this log.