cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OWA shows archived emails as normal emails

sungsam
Level 3

Dear all,

I have Mailbox archiving enabled, as a test i archived all my emails and they are sucessfully stored on the store. I can see in both outlook and on the exchange server that my mailbox is only 5mb in size. outlook Cashed mode is disabled, no OWA plugin/configuration has been made.Yet i can see all emails in my mailbox in OWA as normal emails, and they all work fine.

How would this be possible? as they should be not accessible at all and i should receive a message that i cannot access the archive vault.

I want to make sure OWA + archived emails does not work.

Many thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

If you want to prevent archived emails showing up in OWA, your only option is to make sure when you archive emails .. do not create a shortcut.

Then of course they won't show up as shortcuts in Outlook either, and users will need to use:

- Search

- Archive Explorer

- Virtual Vault

.. to access them.

With regards to your screenshots, you need to see/look-at what the mail looks like, not the header/shortcut information.  Recipient information is not really related.

Working for cloudficient.com

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Is your shortcut content policy set to use 'full message body', or .. even set to use a large number of characters of the message body?

Perhaps your messages are only short test messages with 1-2 words in them, and when they have been shortcut, they will still 'appear' to be the full message when viewed in OWA.

If you want OWA + EV to work together then you will need to install and configure the OWA Extensions.. there is pretty much no getting around that.

sungsam
Level 3

Hi Rob,

Basically i want to disable archived emails from showing up in OWA at all.

I checked the policy and noticed it has the include recipient information check enabled.

But in OWA the emails that are shortcuts in Outlook are just plain normal emails in OWA.

sungsam
Level 3

Left is in outlook, right is in owa. it is the same mesage, but fully accessible from OWA despite being archived.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

If you want to prevent archived emails showing up in OWA, your only option is to make sure when you archive emails .. do not create a shortcut.

Then of course they won't show up as shortcuts in Outlook either, and users will need to use:

- Search

- Archive Explorer

- Virtual Vault

.. to access them.

With regards to your screenshots, you need to see/look-at what the mail looks like, not the header/shortcut information.  Recipient information is not really related.

sungsam
Level 3

Question but how can OWA access those archived emails as they should be located on the SEV archive store and not in the mailbox hosted on the .EDB exchange database.

I would expect the emails would not be visible in OWA at all, as you require the Outlook plugin to see the emails that has been archived correct?

Also i understood i would need to configure some specific settings in order to get access to archived emails in OWA.

Not sure how OWA can access the SEV Vault to show all archived emails in this case.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

If your archiving policy is configured to create a shortcut to the email.. it is that which you are seeing in OWA. 

The archived item itself is stored in Enterprise Vault correct.

Without either the Outlook Add-in installed, or the OWA Configuration done, then the only thing that you will be able to access in either client mode is the shortcut.

sungsam
Level 3

Dear Rob,

Thank you very much, i can see now that attachements in OWA are displayed as @ (65 B) which would be a 6 MB file in the archived email in outlook.

I was confused to see emails in the first place in OWA, i did not know that the shortcuts in your mailbox hosted on the EDB could open/ show containment of the archived email witouth the Outlook Plugin that is hosted on a SEV Vault.

I expected to see nothing at all in OWA.

Again thank you for the clarification!

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Just a quick clarification:

<snip>

I was confused to see emails in the first place in OWA, i did not know that the shortcuts in your mailbox hosted on the EDB could open/ show containment of the archived email witouth the Outlook Plugin that is hosted on a SEV Vault.

</snip>

The shortcut is a mail in your Exchange server EDB file.  It is not on the EV server.  It is a mail which is created when the original item is archived, it's created by the Mailbox Archiving Task (if the policy is configured to do so)