Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Offline Vault? How to enable...?

Brian_Day
Level 6
EV 2007 SP1
EV Client 7.5.1.1397.0 (Full)
Outlook 2007 SP1 (and RTM)

This is embarassing, but how the heck do you enable offline vault? We own it, the license key has it in it (or at least it DID, I'll triple check)... but for the life of me I can't get Tools --> Enterprise Vault --> Offline Vault Settings to show up.

It isn't my day I guess. :)

*edit*

yep... its in the license.

Message Edited by Brian Day on 01-17-2008 02:49 PM
3 REPLIES 3

jimbo2
Level 6
Partner
Do you have cache mode configure on your Outlook Client?

Also,

check the policy setting for Offline vault. If I remember correctly you enable it there.

Brian_Day
Level 6

@jimbo2 wrote:
Do you have cache mode configure on your Outlook Client?

Also,

check the policy setting for Offline vault. If I remember correctly you enable it there.

Thanks, Jimbo, that was it. I just had to enable Cached mode and then it was available to enable. I wonder why Cached mode is a requirement. What about protection just from if the EV servers go offline? Not that I really care, Cached mode is a requirement around here (except us the Exchange team, like to know when things go down quickly).

MarkBarefoot
Level 6
Employee
Offline Vault needs a .OST file to be available for it to function. When in Cached mode, and using the .OST for emails, the Offline Vault process references this file as well as communicating, when needed, to the EV server.

Enabling Offline Vault can be done either thru Policy or Registry key settings.

One major thing to remember is that you have to go offline (i.e. into cached mode) for the whole process to kick in but also connection to the network periodically to sync and get updates etc. The Administrator Guide and Installation Guides both have info about Offline Vault so worth reading thru that.

Mark...