Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Offline Vault Sync Issue

AlanJ
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

Hello,

I have an issue with mobile users who are not able to do a sync of their respective vaults.

How the environment is setup is that the majority of users belong either a mobile worker group (which has Vault Cache and Virtual Vault enabled) or an office group which has no VC enabled.

For a while only a few notebook users belonged to the mobile users group but it was decided that the remainder of the notebook users need to be moved into the mobile group from the office group which was done, however it appears that the required policy was not applied correctly as the users have the added icons for the offline vault from within Outlook but aren't able to sync his or her archive because there is no archive associated archive when viewing the properties of the offline vault.

There are policies that target each corresponding AD group a user belongs to but it didn't seem to apply correctly when the users were moved. Also, there is a Offline Vault folder on the local machine but it would appear to be corrupt.

I have found that removing a user from the AD group and then re-adding them and removing the Offline Vault folder seems to resolve the issue but as there are several hundred affected users.

The server is EV 9 and the targeted Exchange servers are 2010 servers. 

Is there is some easier way I could rectify this problem?

Thank you.

7 REPLIES 7

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Often times moving people between 'groups' takes affect when the users next synchronise -- EV synchronise (on the properties of the mailbox archiving task). Have you check if that has been done?

Have you checked on an affected client to see what their policy is via the hidden message?

Working for cloudficient.com

AlanJ
Level 4

I have tried manually syncing mailboxes and the provisioning task has run a few times but unfortunately the issue still persists.

I haven't checked the hidden message for the policy information so I'll give that a go on a few random mailboxes.

Should it be wrong then what would be the best solution to solve the issue?  

Would I need to zap the mailbox and if so is there a way to perform a bulk zap as this affects several hundred users?

JesusWept3
Level 6

well the corrupt issue, removing and re-adding the users can be solved by themselves by holding ctrl-shift + right click an EV Icon and then hitting Reset Vault Cache

However you could be inadvertantly creating dataloss
If a user drags and drops items to virtual vault (if you have it shown and you allow users to drag and drop in to virtual vault), well that item remains in the cache until a synchronization occurs and it gets posted to the EV Server.

If the vault cache is corrupt, then the items very rarely succesfully archive to the EV Server, so when you reset or delete that directory, you are blowing away the MDC file with the items awaiting to be archived on the EV Server.

Most likely what is stopping users from being properly enabled is a registry settling like OVEnabled and its set to 0

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

AlanJ
Level 4

This issue appears to be affecting certain users and not others. I have checked some users who have no issue and his/her respective archive syncronises but I have found some who don't.

One user in particular, the header information appears to sync but the content sync appears to be 'stuck' in a syncronizing state, however if left long enough the status shows completed but if looking at the last completed date, it reflects that the last sync completed on October 30 2013 even though a few syncs were done today.

The policy looks fine via the hidden message, however due to a GPO I am unable to check the registry settings logged on the machine with the user's credentials although I would presume that it would be correct.

Not sure if that may be causing an issue, the only thing that does seem a bit strange is that I have done a client trace and I can see that it does successfully contact the web server, however in the EV version information on the client's machine under the testing connection section, the HTTP connection fails with status 0x56.

I am able to open Archive Explorer no issue either from Outlook or via a separate webpage. The proxy exclusions are correct and I don't receive any password prompt either when accessing the webpage.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Are the vault cache files landing on disk in these situations?

Working for cloudficient.com

AlanJ
Level 4

The vault cache files are local to the user's computer.

AlanJ
Level 4

Something else that I have noticed is that the next sync date varies wildly from user to user and can either show the next sync date to be yesterday or even on one case Decmeber 2015!

All users use the same policy and the date/time settings are correct on all machines, the EV server and indeed the domain.

I have opened a case with Symantec regarding this issue and currently they are in the process of setting up a lab environment to see if they are able to replicate the issue.