cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Offline vault or Vault cache without cached exchange mode in EV 8?

dgoodyear
Level 5

We are currently in the process of moving from EV 7.5 sp6 to version 8 sp4 (eventual destination is version 9).  Our current configuration is EV 7.5 SP6 with clients on 7.5 sp6 outlook add-in.   Our users do not use cached exchange mode in Outlook.

Currently, to enable offline vault for users that require it we would:

1) enable cached exchange mode temporarily so that the Offline Vault option becomes available

2) Enable offline vault

3) Disable cached exchange mode, leaving the now visible Offline Vault options

All has been well with the world.

In current testing, I configured a duplicate setup to our live production system including offline vault options.  I then upgraded the server from 7.5 sp6 to version 8 sp4 with the client still using 7.5 sp6 outlook add-in.  I was able to enable the offline vault or vault cache using the same process above.  However, once I upgraded the outlook add-in to version 8 sp4 (I also tried version 9 outlook addin), I could no longer find the vault cache or offline vault options.  The only way I can get it to appear and have the menu options and buttons stay visible is to leave the outlook client in cached exchange mode.

Is this normal functionality or is there a trick that I am missing?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

In EV 8 on the Desktop Policy Advanced tab look for Vault Cache in the drop down.

Then set Offline Store required to No.

Offline store required
Description
 Controls whether Vault Cache can be enabled when no offline store is present.

Users have offline store (OST) files if Outlook Cached Exchange Mode is enabled. If a user does not have an OST file, Enterprise Vault cannot perform preemptive caching.

If there is no preemptive caching, there is an increased load on Vault Cache content synchronization for newly archived items. The increased load is only a consideration if the Vault Cache content strategy is Store all items.

Supported values
 Yes (default). An offline store is required for Vault Cache to be enabled.

No. An offline store is not required for Vault Cache to be enabled.

Legacy name
 OVRequireOfflineStore

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

In EV 8 on the Desktop Policy Advanced tab look for Vault Cache in the drop down.

Then set Offline Store required to No.

Offline store required
Description
 Controls whether Vault Cache can be enabled when no offline store is present.

Users have offline store (OST) files if Outlook Cached Exchange Mode is enabled. If a user does not have an OST file, Enterprise Vault cannot perform preemptive caching.

If there is no preemptive caching, there is an increased load on Vault Cache content synchronization for newly archived items. The increased load is only a consideration if the Vault Cache content strategy is Store all items.

Supported values
 Yes (default). An offline store is required for Vault Cache to be enabled.

No. An offline store is not required for Vault Cache to be enabled.

Legacy name
 OVRequireOfflineStore

dgoodyear
Level 5

That was exactly the setting.  Awesome!!  Thank you!