cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opening archived mail item in full (with original formatting and attachments)

gafoorgk
Level 4

Hello All,

I am running EV 12.1 on Win2012R2 FC. Users are using Outlook 2013 with EV Outlook Client Add-in installed. I noticed that double clicking archived mail item shortcut from Outlook opens mail in full (with all formatting and attachments) for some users and for some it opens with shortcut html display. Below are detailed explanation;

• When an archived mail item shortcut is clicked in Outlook, it shows shortcut content with a banner saying "This message has been archived. ..." and attachments are shown as links. But when double clicked, it opens the mail in full with all the original formatting, attachments, etc. (probably from Vault Cache)
    This is happening for 80% of users
  • For remaining users, even after double-clicking, shortcut content is shown, not mail item in full.

Why is this behavioural change?! All users are having same Desktop and Mailbox policies. Vault Cache is enabled for all. I would like to have the first scenario for all users as it is good to have the full mail item open from Vault Cache, if possible.

Thank you

9 REPLIES 9

ChrisLangevin
Level 6
Employee

I'm not sure I'd call this a "behavioural change" so much as I'd say that retrieval appears to be broken for about 20% of your users. One really common cause of this in recent days is a set of Microsoft patches causing trouble. Check for those patches on the affected users' machines. If it's not that, then do a client trace and look for errors during the retrieval process (which you can locate by searching on "download.asp"). If you want help with this, open a support case, and we'll get you sorted out.

--Chris

These patches do not exist in any of the user computers.

Did take client trace logs replicating the actions (double-clicking the shortcut to open mail item in its own window). It didn't have download.asp in it.

I'll open a ticket

Thanks.

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

Could it be the shortcuts are in an archive the user does not have access to? It might be forwarded shortcuts, or copied or moved from another mailbox (like a groupmailbox/folder). Can it also be the item has been deleted from the archive? (either manually, or perhaps by Storage Expiry?)

Regards. Gertjan

arnoldmathias
Level 4

From what I understand from the scenarios presented,

• When an archived mail item shortcut is clicked in Outlook, it shows shortcut content with a banner saying "This message has been archived. ..." and attachments are shown as links. But when double clicked, it opens the mail in full with all the original formatting, attachments, etc. (probably from Vault Cache)
    This is happening for 80% of users

If you click an item in the main window in Outlook, and see only the headers (shortcut content) in the Reading Pane, this is an expected behaviour. Double clicking the item will fetch the item from the local Vault Cache or from the EV server and rendered in full, and this also is the expected behavior.

• For remaining users, even after double-clicking, shortcut content is shown, not mail item in full.

For these users, are you able to double click and view the item in original when accessed from OWA or from EVS? If it works fine in OWA, have you tried to reset the Enterprise Vault Client

On a computer belonging to 80% users where functionality is working as expected, can you create a Windows/Outlook profile for the non-working user (from 20% affected) and try to recreate the problem? You may try it the other way round as well to ascertain if the issue is from the client or the server side.

Do let us know the resolution you receive from Support.

No, that's not the case. The shortcuts, which are double clicked, belongs to the same mailbox. Items do exist in archive since I can open them through Vault Cache or EV Search Page.

I opened a case and one of the Veritas TSE is investigating the issue.

For the 20% users, full mail is not open in OWA as well. I did try resetting EV Client though just for the sake of eliminating any possibilities. It didn't resolve the issue.

Working with Veritas support team isn't going any good. If they can't find a solution, they usually blame it to OS, Office Updates, etc. Here as well the same is happening. I'm being adviced that it could be an issue with OS and our IT team should be investigating the issue when our IT team is not proficient to know what is good or bad for Enterprise Vault.

My own computer is effected. Following are tried;

• My email account was configured in a PC where things are working as expected. It worked fine.
  • Another user's mailbox, which is working fine in that user's computer, was configured in my computer. It didn't work.
  • Re-created Outlook profile. It didn't work
  • Re-installed Outlook. It didn't work
  • Just for the sake of eliminating possibilites, tried what is mentioned in https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000127958. It didn't work

Apparently, some updates are causing this issue and it is not what is mentioned in https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000127958. Veritas TSEs are not very helpful when it comes to an issue which is not already known and documented to them.

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello again,

Have you been asked to run a client trace? If not, can you run one? See https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000094823.html for how to. When doing so, when you started the trace, perform the action which gives issues. Then stop trace. Somewhere in the last part should be showing if it goes wrong. On the EV server where the archive is supposed to be, do you see anything in the eventlog, for EnterpriseVault, and for System?

Regards. Gertjan

Client trace has been done multiple times by Veritas TSEs and were analyzed by them.

On the EV server, there is no suspected events for not showing email contents instead of shortcut content when double-clicked.

It looks like Veritas TSE is now trying to find if any additional OS/Office updates are causing this issue as I received 2 emails today saying they're finding newly released few more updates might cause this issue. I'll see if effected computers have got these updaes installed or not.

@gafoorgk if the issue persists on your computer for your mailbox, but is resolved when your mailbox is configured on another computer, I believe, the issue is not at the server end and is local to your computer only.

You may first reset Internet Explorer to default settings in your computer, then compare IE, Outlook, Outlook patch level, EV Outlook Add-in versions in both the computers. Also, I would check for host file entries if any, verify sites in the Trusted sites list, and verify your domain is added to Compatibility Settings in IE.

Lastly, I would uninstall the Outlook Add-In, delete the KVS key from the registry and re-install the Outlook Add-In.

What baffles me is for users where the issue exists in Outlook, they are experiencing the same issue in OWA as well. So the TSE checking for Outlook patches may not be the right approach. Or maybe the Outlook and OWA retrieval are two unrelated issues? Do let us know your findings.