cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Orphaned Archves Last Access date\time

MitchellGuthrie
Level 2

Hi All,

I will soon be moving from EV 9.0.2 on W2K3 x86 to EV 10.1 on W2K8 R2 x64 and need to clean up the orphaned archives before I forklift the data from the old to the new hardware. I need to figure out a way of determining the last time archives that do no have an associated mailbox were accessed.

We rolled out EV to ~12,000 mailboxes a couple of years ago. When employees left their Exchange 2007 mailboxes were deleted, but we left their archives untouched on EV. Now we have the same amount of mailboxes in Exhange, but there are around 18,000 archives on EV so 6,000 or so are "Orphaned Archives". Normally Storage Expiry would take care of the archived items and eventually reduce the Archive to zero, however we have a Retention Policy that was applied to a folder in everyone’s mailbox that is set to retain forever. It means our Orphaned Archives take up space and I don't want to have to move this data to the new EV 10.0.1 servers.

As the admin for EV my preference is to delete all the Archives with no associated mailbox. The business came back with the suggestion of exporting to PST every item that has the retain forever retention policy and only then delete the orphaned archive. The compromise is if an orphaned archive has not been accessed for more than three months I will be allowed to delete it. Does anyone have a way to get this information from SQL and\or Exports from the SEV console?

I've managed to identify all the orphans in a spreadsheet using a combination Archives=>Exchange Mailbox=>Export List, putting this in a CSV and comparing it to existing Exchange mailboxes using PowerShell, but it doesn't help me identify how long they have been orphaned.

I was also able to export from SQL Studio Databases=>EnterpriseVaultDirectory=>ExchangeMailboxEntry to CSV and it has a LastModified time, but again that doesn't help. Are there any other SQL tables that would help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

So rather items were viewed from an archive isn't stored in SQL.  There were some discussions about this on this thread:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/help-sql-query-0

Do you have auditing enabled?

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

So rather items were viewed from an archive isn't stored in SQL.  There were some discussions about this on this thread:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/help-sql-query-0

Do you have auditing enabled?

MitchellGuthrie
Level 2

I think the SQL query in the link you gave is going to work. It gives be a spreadsheet that I can compare to the Orphaned Archvie spreadsheet. If the username appears on both they can safely be deleted.