cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook 2003 crashes when opening vaulted items

Jay2
Level 4

We have multiple users who are experienceing an issue when trying to open Vaulted items. This is not affecting all users however.

Outlook crashes with a pop-up box and the following:"Outlook has experienced and error and needs to close."

Looking in the event log for one of the users we saw application errors:

Faulting application outlook.exe, version 11.0.8326.0, faulting module msvcr90.dll, version 9.0.30729.4148, fault address 0x0003523b. 

We are running EV 8.05 and the were using the 8.01 client. However we tried updating to the 8.05 client but the issue persists.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

may also be worth giving the resetevclient  a go, but other than that you will have to collect crash dumps via something like DebugDiag and then pass the crash dumps, client logs and any other information about the system to support.

However you would need to test against the later clients because you won't get any kind of hotfix  for an EV8 client unfortunately

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

What happens when you open a normal message?

If you disable the EV client (add-in) does outlook still crash whe you try to open any messages?

Did you you perform a clean uninsatll and then reinstall of the Ev client?

What service pack is Outlook 2003?

Has anything changed to cause the crash problems? i.e. Outlook or/and Windows updates?

When did they have this issue? Did it ever worked for them before?

Jay2
Level 4

Opening normal email has no issues.

Also I can give myself access to the users mailbox and open archived items on my outlook with no issues.

Yes a clean install of Outlook and EV-Add in were performed but did not fix.

Outlook is at 2003 SP3.

Windows Updates were applied on the 17th May by our WSUS team.

I uninstalled the Office update that was applied on the 17th but did not change issue.

Yes users had previously been able to access archived items.

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

"Also I can give myself access to the users mailbox and open archived items on my outlook with no issues." If the problem user logon to your machine does the issue still occur?

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

I would also try a later client, in the 9.0.3 area.

Working for cloudficient.com

Jay2
Level 4

Im assuming that running a later client will not cause any issue with a backend server version that is older.

Also in reply to the previous comment, I cannot log in as one of the affected users due to secruity restrictions.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

9.0.3 clients will work with an 8.x server.

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

may also be worth giving the resetevclient  a go, but other than that you will have to collect crash dumps via something like DebugDiag and then pass the crash dumps, client logs and any other information about the system to support.

However you would need to test against the later clients because you won't get any kind of hotfix  for an EV8 client unfortunately

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Ameen
Level 6

Can you confirm that "Use HTTP 1.1" and "Use HTTP 1.1 through proxy connections" are checked from Internet Explorer's 'Advanced' tab?

Jay2
Level 4

Symantec tech support have now had a look and seem to be stumped. 

We have discovered the the issue is spreading. 

• Using later client does not fix issue
  • Users can use "Restore from Vault" icon with no issues
  • Users are on different EV servers (we have 2 Vault groups)
  • Yes the HTTP options are in use. 
  • Issue does not happen If I remote in to users machine using Admin account and setup my mailbox (using normal user account)

Quickly becoming a frustrating issue

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Have you captured one or more crash dumps for analysis?

Do you have other third party Outlook plugins installed?

Have you tried recreating the end-users Outlook profile?  [ie a new OST file]

Does it happen EVERY TIME they open an archived item via a shortcut?  Only some? Only after a period of time/usage?

Jay2
Level 4

Captured logs from Outlook as requested by tech support

Only AV but have disabled this with no improvement

Yes profiles been recreated and users have been tried on new builds

Issue happens everytime!

Thanks

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Well, the next step (in my opinion) is crash dumps.

Jay2
Level 4

Whats the prefered method for capturing the crash dumps?

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Different engineers have different approaches...  my personal preference is to use either the old style adplus.vbs or the new style adplus.exe

The syntax of the command line is largely the same for example:

cscript adplus.vbs -crash -quiet -pn outlook.exe -o c:\dumps

You do that *after* starting Outlook.  When Outlook crashes the crash dump should be popped in to the c:\dumps folder.  Sometimes it can take a minute or two, and you'll see a little 'dos type' window minimized.. that's CDB (the command line debugger) actually creatin the crash dump file..  and that takes a minute or two depending on the speed of the system etc.

Other approaches are to configure Dr Watson to do it.. as it's an application crash, you should already be getting an event ID 1000, right?

Or there is debugdiag.

Amongst others :)

Jay2
Level 4

Ok I'll see what I can get.

Just out of interest this is the Event info from one of the machines affected when the issue happens:

Faulting application outlook.exe, version 11.0.8326.0, faulting module msvcr80.dll, version 8.0.50727.4053, fault address 0x0000e7a2.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

ok.

Unfortunately that's fairly generic, I'm afraid.

Jay2
Level 4

I thought as much. I am wondering however if .Net framework could be at fault here as the DLL mentioned is a component?

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Never say never.. but...

Outlook is a regular C++ application, as-is the Outlook Add-in from EV.

So it shouldn't be touching .Net (as that's C# etc)

Jay2
Level 4

(Still trying to get a crash dump)

Additional tests are showing that the same user can access vaulted items via our Workaway solution (citrix) and also as stated before when logged in as an admin account and then setting up mailbox with normal acc, the issue does not appear. However if I log on to thier machine as my normal acc issue persists.

I was thinking then if it could be profile based but surely as I have a roaming profile the issue would follow on to my machine. Which it has not.