cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook 2010 HTTP-Only Add-in Pointing to Wrong Server?

james_hicks
Level 2

Hello all,

We are currently running an old EV 7 setup with Exchange. I recently setup EV 9 on new hardware, as the hardware that 7 is running on is old and almost end of life, so I did not want to upgrade. 

I have the new 9.0 setup archiving a few test e-mail accounts as well as my own account. Everything is working fine except for the Outlook 2010 HTTP-Only Add-in. It seems that the add-in is pointing to EV 7 server. 

After I install the Outlook add-in, when I first run Outlook, I get the error message "This Version of the Enterprise Vault Outlook Add-in is not compatible with the Enterprise Vault server version." 

Then when I try to pull something from the archive, I get "Your account does not have access to the vault containing this item. Try using the same logon details you would use to log on to Microsoft Exchange Server. Do you want to log on to Enterprise Vault under another account?" If I click 'YES', the provide username/password logon box pops up, and I notice that it is trying to log me on to our old Enterprise Vault setup, version 7.

I am assuming this is because I used to have the version 7 Outlook add-in installed. However, I uninstalled this prior to installing the new Outlook 2010 add-in for version 9. There must still be some data or registry information leftover that is telling the add-in to try to connect to the old server. 

Has anyone run across this problem? Thank you for any help in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

what it sounds like is you have a mailbox that was enabled in Enterprise Vault 7 and the hidden message still has the old data on it, what you should do is disable the mailbox in EV7 and then zap it, then in EV9 provision it and synchronize it then restart your outlook

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

OK, first thing, you can't just go from EV 7 to EV 9, you need to upgrade to EV 2007, EV 8, and then EV 9.  You can only move to new hardware if EV is the same version on each server.

How exactly did you upgrade\install your EV 9 server?  Did you create a new EV directory database?

james_hicks
Level 2

This is a completely independent install from our EV 7 install. Basically a fresh install of EV 9 on new hardware. I wasn't planning on bringing over any of our old EV 7 data. Once I got the EV 9 server up and running fine, I was going to export all the e-mail from EV 7 back into the users mailboxes, then shut that server down and dispose of it. Then I was going to add those mailboxes into EV 9, and start archiving them.

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

what it sounds like is you have a mailbox that was enabled in Enterprise Vault 7 and the hidden message still has the old data on it, what you should do is disable the mailbox in EV7 and then zap it, then in EV9 provision it and synchronize it then restart your outlook

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

I think JW2 is correct.  Enterprise Vault stores it's settings in a hidden message in your mailbox - I'd say that contains data pointing to the "old" environment.  You need to disable the account in the old environment, zap the mailbox (maybe) and enable it in the new environment.

Working for cloudficient.com

OlafD
Level 5

Hm, I have the same problem. We did an upgrade from 7 to 9. We have one domain, several Exchange Server and still the same server. Now all the users in Germany, where also a Exchange Server(2003)  is located, have the error that it thinks the server is an older version than the plugin. We removed EV plugin, installed it again, but this doesn't help. All other users, in other countries(where they don't have their own Exchange Server) have no problems at all. We in the Netherlands, with out own Exchange Server, also don't have a problem. The Exchange Servers are all in one Exchange organisation.

Sorry to ask, but what do you mean with 'zap it' ?             *blush*

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi Olaf,

Zap is removing EV-properties from a mailbox (ie removing the hidden EV messages)

See http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH35614 and http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH50905

GJ

Regards. Gertjan

OlafD
Level 5

Thanks, we will have a look at this. This sounds promising. Still strange that only our German user have this problem.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Did you setup Provisioning to the german exchange server from EV 9 ?

OlafD
Level 5

We have one Provisioning task for the domain, which we always had.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

And the mailbox archiving task for the specific exchange server is also still in place and working ?

(not in report only mode ?)

OlafD
Level 5

Yes, they all seem to be fine. We have now restarted the server and disabled/enabled one user. This now seems to work! Tomorrow we will do some more.