cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook 2013 and Win 8.1

APS_Group
Level 3

Hi

I am not able to install the EV 10.0.4 plugin on my 8.1 machine with outlook 2013.

The same MSI installs fine on Win 7 Outlook 2010.

When i double click the MSI on win 8.1 i get:

"You cannot install the Symantec Enterprise Vault Outlook Add-In 10.0.4.1333 by launching the MSI file directory. You must launch setup.exe."

I have logged on with my account that has full domain access and is also within the local admin group on the laptop to be sure.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

A_J1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi APS group,

You must runsetup.exe to launch the MSI. The setup.exe file that you may need is included on the Enterprise Vault media, in the same folder as the MSI file.

You need to provide a setup.exe file if both of the following conditions apply:

• The operating system on the client computer is Windows Vista/7/8.

• Windows User Account Control (UAC) is turned on.

Launching the MSI with setup.exe ensures that the installation process is elevated before the MSI is launched. This early elevation is necessary to enable the installation to complete all of its processes. If UAC is turned on and a user tries to launch the MSI directly, the installation process displays an error message.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

A_J1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi APS group,

You must runsetup.exe to launch the MSI. The setup.exe file that you may need is included on the Enterprise Vault media, in the same folder as the MSI file.

You need to provide a setup.exe file if both of the following conditions apply:

• The operating system on the client computer is Windows Vista/7/8.

• Windows User Account Control (UAC) is turned on.

Launching the MSI with setup.exe ensures that the installation process is elevated before the MSI is launched. This early elevation is necessary to enable the installation to complete all of its processes. If UAC is turned on and a user tries to launch the MSI directly, the installation process displays an error message.

Arjun_Shelke
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Is it Outlook 2013 x64? If yes, check this out

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH214359

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hello APS,

Even though if you get to install the Enterprise Vault Outlook Add-in in Windows 8.1, keep in mind that this OS is not supported yet as a client operation system in the compatibility guide:

Capture11.JPG

Enterprise Vault Compatibility List
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH38537 (Page 53)

I hope this helps.

APS_Group
Level 3

Hi

Thanks for all  the info, although UAC was off it still wouldn't install using the MSI.

I just went for it with the setup.exe and it works a treat