cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook Add-In errors that make little sense

Thehound
Level 3

Hello All,

I am once again having issues and hoping someone can advise or point me in the right direction as all I am finding currently is ambiguous documentation.

The situation is relatively simple. We've upgraded the EV servers to version 11 and now want to upgrade the clients to version 11. In my innocent little head the tricky bit should be the servers not the client, but life it seems enjoys proving me wrong.

On the installation media there is a folder called Outlook Add-In. In there are 2 files - "Setup.exe" and "Symantec Enterprise Vault Outlook Add-In.msi"

Not sure why there is a Setup and an MSI but that's just how it is. But whichever way I try and install it I get errors that are not overly useful, I am told to install the HTTP client - but as that does not exist I am finding it tricky to install - I have a preference for using things that exist rather than objects from the imagination - so am getting stuck at this stage.

Reading various forums - not the documentation - I see that the HTTP and DCOM clients are a thing of the past and there is just a unified client now. In which case what is the error telling to to use the HTTP client all about?

"Outlook 2010 or later is installed on this computer. You must install the Enterprise Vault HTTP-Only Outlook Add-In" - which does not seem to exist for EV11.

Strangely if I install it, get the error and click ok, once I open Outlook the EV toolbar is there, so it hasn't failed, but if I try and update 10000 clients with SCCM I'll just get 10000 errors, which isn't going to be an option - I'll get lynched by the SCCM team before being mauled by the Change Management mob.

So there must be something simple I have missed, can anybody help me to see what I am missing please? How do other people use SCCM to install multiple clients - what files are used and how do you get past the "You need the HTTP client" error?

Thanks as ever,

Matt

Servers are EV11 on Win2008R2

Clients are Win7 with Outlook 2010.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Drawback being you are officially not supported :) Veritas supports the clients one version up, one version down. In other words, EV9 client talsk to EV8,9 and 10.

I've been thinking about this, and perhaps you can try the below:

In the desktop policy, tab advanced, dropdown Outlook, Outlook Add-In behavior. Change that to Light.

Sync a user that has the 9 client. Have the user close/open Outlook

Install the 11 client.

If that also fails, I would stick with the EV9 client, and open a case with support.

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

GertjanA

You might want to try the client from CHF 5 That should be compatible with EV11.0 (I assume you are on 11.0 not on 11.0SP1 (11.0.1)

See http://www.veritas.com/docs/000106004 for the zip that has the clients. I have seen the error, but that was with an EV9 client, not 11.

Regards. Gertjan

Thehound
Level 3

Thanks GertjanA I'm downloading the files at the moment and will check on this once I have them.

I have been fiddling with the files and checking other forums that have the same sounding issue. Running the installation manually from a command prompt :

msiexec /i "Symantec Enterprise Vault Outlook Add-in.msi" /L "MSlog.txt" /Q

Gives me the same errors, but nicely logged :

MSI (s) (74:10) [14:17:56:312]: Product: Symantec Enterprise Vault Outlook Add-In -- Outlook 2010 or later is installed on this computer. You must install the Enterprise Vault HTTP-Only Outlook Add-In.

Outlook 2010 or later is installed on this computer. You must install the Enterprise Vault HTTP-Only Outlook Add-In.

I've attached the full output from the log.

Weirdly thought it does install - tried to paste the properties of Valkyrie.dll in here but that didn't work, I'll upload as an attachment instead. And from what my basic testing shows it is working - but due to the error this isn't really a possibility as I cannot run an enterprise level software update knowing it will generate thousands of errors.

Once the download completes I'll give that a go and report back.

Thanks,

Thehound
Level 3

Well the next update is that I have downloaded the files suggested by GertjanA and installed them - but I am getting the same problem.

MSI (s) (C8:90) [16:25:06:978]: Product: Symantec Enterprise Vault Outlook Add-In -- Outlook 2010 or later is installed on this computer. You must install the Enterprise Vault HTTP-Only Outlook Add-In.

Outlook 2010 or later is installed on this computer. You must install the Enterprise Vault HTTP-Only Outlook Add-In.
Action ended 16:25:06: ErrOutlook14Installed. Return value 3.
Action ended 16:25:06: INSTALL. Return value 3.
CustomAction  returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)
Action ended 16:25:06: RemoveExistingProducts. Return value 3.
Action ended 16:25:06: INSTALL. Return value 3.
MSI (s) (C8:4C) [16:25:06:978]: Product: Symantec Enterprise Vault Outlook Add-in 11.0.1.3706 -- Installation failed.

MSI (s) (C8:4C) [16:25:06:978]: Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: Symantec Enterprise Vault Outlook Add-in 11.0.1.3706. Product Version: 11.0.7802. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Symantec Corporation. Installation success or error status: 1603.

How are other people managing to install version 11 of the client? Or have they not bothered?

Also why would the error message from a unified Outlook client still have error messages that don't relate to it? If the client is unified and so there is no differentiation between clients then how come the error is telling me to use the HTTP client when it no longer exists?

Other than starting a support call can anyone think of a way forward? I just want to push the client out, shouldn't be a problem really - but am now tempted to just give everyone a desktop shortcut to the Archive Explorer URL.

I do have the HTTP client from EV9 - in fact it is already installed on thousands of machines. It works - what would be the benefit or drawback from just leaving things as they are?

Thanks,

GertjanA

Drawback being you are officially not supported :) Veritas supports the clients one version up, one version down. In other words, EV9 client talsk to EV8,9 and 10.

I've been thinking about this, and perhaps you can try the below:

In the desktop policy, tab advanced, dropdown Outlook, Outlook Add-In behavior. Change that to Light.

Sync a user that has the 9 client. Have the user close/open Outlook

Install the 11 client.

If that also fails, I would stick with the EV9 client, and open a case with support.

Regards. Gertjan

Thehound
Level 3

Thanks Gertjan. I'll try setting the Light Client and see how that goes but will also start a support call as I am now reaching the point where I am spending more time having to explain what is going on to management than working on the problem.

Cheers,

Matt

JimmyNeutron
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi,

I would suggest disabling all other Outlook Add-ins that might be conflicting with the Outlook client. If that fixes the issue, re-enable the add-ins one at a time to narrow it down to one.

Thehound
Level 3

Well this has gone to Support. They suggested changing to using the Light version of the client, changing the setting in the VAC - Policies - Exchange - Desktop - Default Policy - Advanced Tab - Outlook Add-In Behaviour = Light.

Weirdly this has made the installation work on our VDI infrastructure but still throws the same error when installing on laptops and desktops.

So I'm still working with Support. As we have it working on some machines I am less inclined to think it is EV related and now think the terrible complexity of the desktop setup here maybe something to do with whatever is going on.

It's still not a very useful error message, but we are now working through it. If or when an answer is found I'll slap it up on here for posterity.

Thanks all that contributed.

Cheers,

Matt