cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook Anywhere, Enterprise Vault and Threat Management Gateway issue

TPG_Credit_IT
Level 3

I have successfully set up OWA to be proxied through my Threat Management Gateway and am able to see items archived within Enterprise Vault.  All is good within OWA.  I am now attempting to do the same for Outlook Anywhere (RPC over HTTP) and am having issues.  For some reason, the RPC over HTTP connection and RPC over HTTP Proxy URL settings are not being picked up by Outlook Anywhere.  From what I read it should be.

My setup is as follows:

Enterprise Vault 9.0.1.1073

Exchange 2010 SP1 (14.01.0289.001)

Threat Management Gateway (TMG) 2010 SP1  (7.0.9027.400)

My Outlook Anywhere client connects through TMG fine.  It is when I attempt access an archived item, it flat out doesn't work.

Any advice is appreciated.

Regards

Paul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
9 REPLIES 9

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

really need to see a client trace to see what URL its attempting to go through and whether its even picking up the RPC Over HTTP URL that you specified in the policies.

I'm guessing that you have published the "/EnterpriseVault" virtual directory and can access Archive Explorer and Search.asp by going to http://mail.yourDomain.com/EnterpriseVault/Search.asp ... correct?

Because its pretty much that URL that needs to be put in the RPC over HTTPS URL within the Policies, and then when EV detects that it doesn't have a direct connection to the EV Servers, it will then start to use that URL, if the URL is unreachable or the /EnterpriseVault/ directory hasn't been published, then it will fail.

So open up outlook, hit CTRL-SHIFT and click one of your EV icons (such as store in vault) then set it to Maximum Logging and press OK, restart Outlook and reproduce your issues, then once thats done, hold just CTRL and press an EV icon and now the Log will open up.

Is it possible you could post that Log here as an attachment? or at least remove any sensitive personal details from the log file and then post it here?

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

TPG_Credit_IT
Level 3

Couple pieces of additional information.  If the first thing I do is go to archive explorer in my Outlook Anywhere client, I am prompted for my credentials and the archive explorer works.  Then I attempt to open an archived item, I am prompted once again for my credentials and it doesn't work.  Furthermore, the archive explorer is not broken until I restart my Outlook Anywhere client.  I am attaching the log as you requested.  At line 2374 I copy the URL and can successfully browse to it from an Internet explorer after I am prompted for my credentials.  So it appears for whatever reason the translation between the internal and external URLs does not seem to be working.  I can see this is going to be something very simple I am missing but I can't see it right now.  Attached is the log file for you perusal.  Thanks for the help.

Paul

P.S.  I do have a log whereby I went to the archive explorer first and then attempted to access an archived item.  Let me know if that would give any additional information.

smlopes
Level 5

Any updates on this? Curious since we are running same type of environment, except Symantec is 9.0.2.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Does this route through to an Enterprise Vault server?

27/06/2011 14:58:43.984[3492]: Downloading: https://mail10.tpgcredit.com/EnterpriseVault/download.asp?VaultID=1F56F9F50A64FC74B8600C40CB37E3F9D1110000vaultsite&SaveSetID=201105135301513~201011231123480000~Z~A0A8CBBD9A308F8C2CDA03603087D971&FormatType=Unicode&Client=EV9.0.2.1061-Outlook14&Format=MUD&AttachmentID=0

Working for cloudficient.com

smlopes
Level 5

We have external traffic come into out TMG server, then we have a web publishing rule to route to EV server.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Did you ned further help with this?  Did you look at the TMG Technote that Support produced, it might help?

Working for cloudficient.com

smlopes
Level 5

I couldnt use URL link

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

smlopes
Level 5

We eventually configured TMG without Symantec's help (technote nor support was able to help during our time of deployment because they claimed "TMG is too new"). I didn't know about the link translation bug. Nice to finally see a technote.