Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook plugin on EV 10.0.4 R1 server?

Fremont
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi,

In previous versions I have never installed the outlook add-in on ev servers since it's not required.  However I would always see the ev outlook plugin buttons if I launched outlook on the ev server.  This is useful sometimes for troubleshooting, especially for journaling (cancel operation on stuck items, etc.).

I recently installed EV for Exchange 10.0.4 R1 for journaling only.  I don't see the EV buttons when I launch outlook on the ev server. 

Do I need to install the plugin or is there a reg-key or policy setting I need to enable to see the EV client on the server?  I am logged in with the ev service acount.

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Since EV9 they removed the Valkyrie.dll and its registration which handles the outlook addin
The documentation says if you want the functionality on the server, you have to install the client

HOWEVER I would strongly advise against it.
If you install the add-in and choose a different location to install from, it will update the InstallPath key that the regular EV Server binaries share, and start looking for Executables and DLL files in the EVClient install location instead of the server location, and then all your EV services shut down.

Also when you upgrade to major versions or service packs, you would also have to install the new client with it, and then if you start installing EV Client Hotfixes, you may end up with issues where some of the Shared DLL's become incompatible with the server.

Another thing is if you do PST migrations and you have PST files on the EV Server
And you create an outlook profile to a user who has migration enabled, its possible that the client will kick in, kick off a PST migration on the server and you end up migrating PST files that don't belong to that particular user and now you have to clean up the PSTs that have been migrated

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Since EV9 they removed the Valkyrie.dll and its registration which handles the outlook addin
The documentation says if you want the functionality on the server, you have to install the client

HOWEVER I would strongly advise against it.
If you install the add-in and choose a different location to install from, it will update the InstallPath key that the regular EV Server binaries share, and start looking for Executables and DLL files in the EVClient install location instead of the server location, and then all your EV services shut down.

Also when you upgrade to major versions or service packs, you would also have to install the new client with it, and then if you start installing EV Client Hotfixes, you may end up with issues where some of the Shared DLL's become incompatible with the server.

Another thing is if you do PST migrations and you have PST files on the EV Server
And you create an outlook profile to a user who has migration enabled, its possible that the client will kick in, kick off a PST migration on the server and you end up migrating PST files that don't belong to that particular user and now you have to clean up the PSTs that have been migrated

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Fremont
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Thanks JW3 for the detailed answer.  Appreciated.