cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook upgrade on EV Server

Dowley
Level 3

Hi,

I'm currently archive from Exchange 2007 using Outlook 2003 on the EV server. All works fine, but im about to start archiving from a 2013 CU8 server, so need to upgrade my Outlook version. From what i've read Outlook 2007 SP3 (with kb2596598 installed) is required, which is fine.

Just wondering if there is any particular issue i need to be awre off before i kick off the Outlook install? is it recommended to remove the old 2003 version first before installing 2007? if i do this what functionality will be unavailable during the upgrade time? My archiving tasks run over night so they wont be active.

Many thanks 

8 REPLIES 8

Dowley
Level 3

Forgot to mention, EV is version 10.0.4 CH3 so is OK with Exchange 2013!

thanks 

Ben_Watts
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi Dowley,

Nope a straight up upgrade of Outlook from 2003 to 2007 SP3 with the Hotfix, will be fine, we only use it to create MAPI connections to Exchange (although officially MAPI isn't used in Exchange 2013).

Ben_Watts
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Just to add, any kind of call, from clients/EV, that requires a MAPI connection from EV to Exchange will be unavailable during the upgrade:-

Archiving and Restoring, exporting from archive to original, or another, mailbox will be unavailable.

Retrieving will work fine as it is a straight call to the stored item on EV storage.

Searching will also work as expected.

Exporting to PST will also work as expected.

Dowley
Level 3

Ok sounds easy enough. Not too much impact on the users then, will more than likley do it out of hours to be safe.

Appreciate the info! thanks a lot

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

How'd it go?

Dowley
Level 3

Hi AndewB, actually did this at the weekend. Realtively easy on the 2 Archiving servers i have, upgraded, old tasks still working. Issue with the new Archiving tasks for the new Exchange servers, appears I need to mail enable the EV service account. Going to try running with a different log on account for the time being so as not to effect the current EV service account. 

A seperate Journal server had a bad time with the Outlook upgrade, but I dont think this is EV related, think its to do with the Outlook install that was on there in the first place. All in all though, not too bad!

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

thanks for the detailed update!

FWIW, a mail-enabled EV service account is a pre-requisite for EV 10 and Exchange 2010 archiving so that should have already been in place.

Dowley
Level 3

Good to know, we're currently just Archiving Exchange Exchange 2007, so its a bit of a jump to 2013. Will test it out later using another mail enabled EV account (with correct permissions) as the login account, see how that goes. Appreciate the follow ups